LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cut and paste from one block diagram to another?

Is it possible to cut objects from the block diagram of one vi and paste them into the block diagram of another vi?

Also, is it possible to "comment out" parts of a block diagram like you can in a text based program? That is, can you disable "code" on a block diagram without removing it from the diagram entirely?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(4,798 Views)

@querty999 wrote:

Is it possible to cut objects from the block diagram of one vi and paste them into the block diagram of another vi?

Did you try it before you posted?

Also, is it possible to "comment out" parts of a block diagram like you can in a text based program? That is, can you disable "code" on a block diagram without removing it from the diagram entirely?

Yes. Diagram Disable structure.

Have you done any of the LabVIEW tutorials? Have you opened the LabVIEW Help?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(4,793 Views)

Or did you try to select a section of code and drag it from one block diagram over to another block diagram and drop it before you posted? No need to cut and paste.

Omar
Message 3 of 11
(4,778 Views)

Yep, I tried before I posted. I also searched LabVIEW help. Got maybe a hundred hits. I didn't read them all.

I was expecting a way to right-click/copy, and right-click/paste. Not available, I guess. I discovered that Cntl-C (cut) and Cntl-V (paste) works.

As for training, I've got diploma's in Core 1 and Core 2 LabVIEW. I've worked numerous examples independently and read large part of several books. I'm living proof that LabVIEW ain't for dummies."Pictures and wires" programming doesn't click for me. Too many details to memorize.

CVI is much easier to me than LabVIEW, maybe since I've been programming extensively in C for 20 years. But boss says we gotta use LabVIEW. It's the politically correct thing to do.

Lots of LabVIEW advocates in management here. Few have done anything of significance with it. Some use Signal Express and call it LabVIEW. I guess they're technically correct. SE says LabVIEW on the splash page.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(4,752 Views)

querty999 wrote: 

As for training, I've got diploma's in Core 1 and Core 2 LabVIEW. I've worked numerous examples independently and read large part of several books. I'm living proof that LabVIEW ain't for dummies."Pictures and wires" programming doesn't click for me. Too many details to memorize.

CVI is much easier to me than LabVIEW, maybe since I've been programming extensively in C for 20 years. But boss says we gotta use LabVIEW. It's the politically correct thing to do.

Lots of LabVIEW advocates in management here. Few have done anything of significance with it. Some use Signal Express and call it LabVIEW. I guess they're technically correct. SE says LabVIEW on the splash page.

You may be interested in this discussion: http://forums.ni.com/t5/BreakPoint/LabView-vs-LabWindows-CVI/td-p/400121

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(4,728 Views)

Hi everybody,

I think this is the right thread for this question.

I am extremely familiar with cut-paste between diagrams (I do it all the time), but today I experience problems with it. And the problem is today the code gets moved/copied only as an image. Did I inadvertedly press some key to have such an unusual behavior? It worked as expected until yesterday.

Now, if I (ctrl-) drag some blocks from one diagram to the other, the cursor indicates an invalid drag and it does not work. Ctrl- (c /) x - ctrl -v incredibly pastes a picture of the selected piece of code...

Does anybody have an idea? Thank you in advance

Francesco

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(4,681 Views)

Ah and... I forgot to say that this happens only with one particular diagram. Copy/cut paste works properly within diagrams and between other diagrams, but not to this particular one...

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(4,678 Views)

And... I found the solution by myself!

I did inadvertedly start 2 different instances of LabVIEW. It looks like copy/cut -paste of code between instances is not allowed.

Ok nice to have bothered you. Thank you anyway. Ciao!

Francesco

Message 8 of 11
(4,673 Views)

I have noticed that pasting code in another program, as Word or a mail program produces a picture, but didn't know the same happened in between LV instances. Good to know (and try to keep at the back of the head).

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(4,668 Views)

I used to do this all the time, suddenly the functionality has changed and the wires do not copy/paste, also the placement of the pasted items is seemly random.  I have used lab view for over a decade on and off, I am very capable in other scripting softwares, but LabView always surprises with buggy issues like this 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(455 Views)