LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

DAQmx Acquisition Sample Timing

Solved!
Go to solution

Let's say I start a DAQmx acquisition task using with the DAQmx Timing VI set to Sample Mode = Continuous Samples, and Rate = 1000 S/s. If my DAQmx Read VI only reads 1 sample every 100 ms, the data it reads from the buffer was still acquired at the specified 1000 S/s, right? (Obviously this would quickly lead to a buffer overflow, but I'm just trying to understand whether the timing of the acquired data is at all dependent on when/where my DAQmx Read VI occurs.)

If so, is it also correct to say the data was acquired using hardware timing rather than software timing?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(166 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jrdwight

Your hardware will continue to read AI at the configured sampling rate (coerced to hardware capability) and will push data to the driver's buffer. The DAQmx read just fetches the samples from the driver's buffer once available. There is a little more intelligence in DAQmx driver to detect whether the buffer is full or waiting for samples.

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(160 Views)

You say "at the configured sampling rate (coerced to hardware capability)". How would I know what the true sampling rate is? Would I have to use something like a waveform output instead of double output, so that it tells me dt?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(97 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jrdwight

After configuring sample timing, you can read back the actual sampling rate using the property node.

This is done in all shipping examples.

santo_13_0-1714509018663.png

Santhosh
Soliton Technologies

New to the forum? Please read community guidelines and how to ask smart questions

Only two ways to appreciate someone who spent their free time to reply/answer your question - give them Kudos or mark their reply as the answer/solution.

Finding it hard to source NI hardware? Try NI Trading Post
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(93 Views)

I'd never noticed that! Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(81 Views)