LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need to buy Labview RT module to use CRIO?

I got very confused with too many LABVIEW versions and modules. I have a Full Development LABVIEW. I purchased  a CRIO 9073 that I would like to write code for. However, my first obsticle is with initial configuration inside of MAX. I formated the disk, but  I can't upload software to it. I get conflicts and dependancies errors(such as missing RT SCAN engine and many more) that let me to believe that I am missing a Real-Time module.  Sounds like I need to buy RT module separetely from Labview.  What I would like to figure out is whether RT and FPGA modules come with Professional development system or I still need buy these two modules separetely. It sucks that I purchased CRIO9073, but apparently I don't have right software to use it.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,313 Views)

These two forum posts say that you do need the RT module:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/program-crio-without-fpga-or-RT/td-p/1136028

http://forums.ni.com/t5/Real-Time-Measurement-and/Using-cRIO-Fieldpoint-without-RT/td-p/1716982

There's a procedure for using a Fieldpoint RT controller without the RT module, you could see if the same thing will work for the cRIO (install RIO support instead of Fieldpoint support), but don't be too surprised/disappointed if it does not work.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,298 Views)

The last time I was looking at the CRIO you needed to have RT and it depended on which modules you are using if you needed the FPGA software or not.  Which is why I do not have a CRIO yet.

I would talk with your local rep or support to see if they can work some kind of deal on pricing.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,274 Views)

From MAX you can load the correct version of the software on the cRIO.  If you want to write code for it you will need the RT module and if you awnt to write FPGA code the FPGA module.  They come at a discounted price when you have the Dev. Suite, but they do not come included by default.  Note, you can use the cRIO with the Scan Engine and not use the FPGA at all.

Casey Lamers

Phoenix, LLC

casey.lamers@phoenixwi.com

CLA, LabVIEW Champion

Check Out the Software Engineering Processes, Architecture, and Design track at NIWeek. 2018 I guarantee you will learn things you can use daily! I will be presenting!

Message 4 of 5
(3,252 Views)

Hello Rubic,

I work for NI and am currently working on making our software portfolio a bit easier to understand. Can I follow-up with you via phone to talk about some ideas and gain your feedback on what might have improved your experience? If so, please email me your phone number at casey.weltzin@ni.com.

Best Regards,

Casey Weltzin

National Instruments

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,141 Views)