LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do Password hashes in password protected VIs change when compiled for a new revision?

Solved!
Go to solution

We have some password protected VIs that we apparently codeveloped with a 3rd party. The 3rd party recently sent me the passwords and I tried them. They don't work.

Possibly they sent the wrong ones, but it got me to thinking. The passwords would have been applied when the VIs where in LabVIEW 8.5. Now they are in LabVIEW 2009 SP1. Based on this article, the hashes are based on the password and certain Salts derived from the VI.

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/831F38C46BCBDADE8625793A0054BB19?OpenDocument

Wouldn't a recompile caused by an upgrade change the salts? Is LabVIEW smart enough to change the hash code because of this? (How since it doesn't have the original password?) So would upgrading a password protected VI have the effect of changing the password and locking you out of the VI?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,395 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author cgibson

I have no idea.

But, I created a VI in LV 7.1 and saved it with a simple password.  I then opened it up in LV2014, save it as a different name and was able to run it and use the same password to open the block diagram.

Someone else should wonder by with better information.

Message 2 of 3
(2,356 Views)

Thanks for trying this out!

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,353 Views)