cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual Processor Multi Core Parrell Processing Question

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey Guys

I'm looking for a little clarification on an issue with parrell processing in LabView. If I have a Dual Processor machine with two 4 core CPU's will be able to access all 8 cores in the LabView environment. I'm presuming it can use any cores the operating system can see?   

Thanks for the help,

Tom

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,967 Views)

Tom,

this is essentially true. But this does not imply that LV runs faster or applications you create using LV are faster/more stable/whatsoever.

Why do you ask this? Do you have any issues? 

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,954 Views)

Hey thanks for the reply,

The reason I ask is because we are going to be building a LabView VI to control an OCT device and a high speed imaging system simultaneously. I want to farm off different Job's to different processors so they can run in parallel to improve efficiency and simplify timing issues.

The OCT system currently uses four cores on a quad core so I will need another chip on the motherboard if I require more cores. I have read a lot about utilising multicourse in LabView but nothing on multiprocessors on multicourses.

Thanks,

Tom  

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,951 Views)

Tom,

it is the job of the OS that applications can use all cores if necessarry. So for the application itself, it should make no difference if the system (in hardware) is MultiCPU, MultiCore or even simply HyperThread.....

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,947 Views)
Norbert is correct in that your OS usually handles load balancing across the CPUs.  But if you use the Timed Loop construct in LabVIEW (essentially a Do While Loop with more settings) you can specify which core you want the code inside that loop to run on.  
---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,924 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Tom Drew

Norbert B wrote:

it is the job of the OS that applications can use all cores if necessarry. So for the application itself, it should make no difference if the system (in hardware) is MultiCPU, MultiCore or even simply HyperThread.....

Norbert 

Its true, but I would like to add my 5 cents here.

Lets say, if you have single loop like

while (true){

//do something

}

then OS will get no chance to run it in multiple threads. So, you will get max 12,5% CPU load at 8 cores PC or 50% max on dual core PC.

I have dual core PC right now, and lets check it:

L-Single.png

So, as we can see - 50% CPU load reached (one core loaded more, but its another story).

Well, if we will use two while loops, then we will get 100 % load:

L-Dual.png

Of course, if you will need to load all 8 cores, then you should have 8 parallel loops.

Compare BD above with the following:

L-SingleD.png

We have two Array minmax functions, and they independend, but we have 50% only.

Well, you can get also 100% CPU utulization withing single while loop. In th example below you have two SubVI, which called in the same loop:

L-Reent.png

We have here 100 %. Important, that these VIs should be reenterant!

See what happened if they not reeenterant:

L-NoReent.png

Now a little bit about Vision. Behing of most of the Vision SubVIs are DLL calls. Some Vision functions already optimized for multicore execution. For example, convolution:

L-Convol.png

On the BD above we have single loop with one SubVI, but both cores are used (because convolute itself already optimized for multi core).

Remember, that not all Vision functions optimized yet. For, example, LowPass still single-threaded (compare this BD with BD above):

L-LowPass.png

Sure, we can utilize multi cores - just perform parallel execution (you have to split image to two parts, then join together and so on):

L-LowPass2.png

Remember, that SubVIs should be reeentrant, and all DLL calls should be thred safe (not in UI thread). Also good idea to turn off debugging in such experiments for eliminate additional CPU load.

Another point about 8 cores. As far as I know, LabVIEW (and LabVIEW-based application) will support only 4 cores within one execution system by default (at least prior to LabVIEW 2009). If you need to utulize all 8 cores, then you should add some lines into LabVIEW.ini. Refer to the following thread where you can found more details:

Interpolate 1d slow on 8 core machine

Hope all written above was correct. 

Thank for reading and best regards,

Andrey.

Message Edited by Andrey Dmitriev on 11-27-2009 02:50 PM
Message 6 of 8
(3,887 Views)

Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for your responces! i have a much better idea about what is going on now.  Its really good to see that LabView has such a strong support from its users. 

Thanks Again 

Tom 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,870 Views)

Tom Drew wrote:

Its really good to see that LabView has such a strong support from its users. 

That's indeed 100% true. You can learn a lot here.

Thanks for marking the solution and also kudos to the person who helped you.

Enjoy wiring.

Message 8 of 8
(3,863 Views)