LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamically run vi on RT target

In my application, there are some VIs running on the host and some are running on a RT target. Everytime I want to run the application, I have to run the host VIs and RT VIs manually (from Project Explorer). This is very time consuming. Also, I only run some VIs at certain times and the code determines that. The closest I have come to making it automatic is by manually deploying all the RT VIs at the beginning and then I can stop/start them using the master VI on the host computer (as shown in "VI Server" example).

I have decided to now just go with an executable. I want to create a EXE file on the RT target that will contain all the compiled RT VIs. Doing the same on the host computer is pretty straightfoward. What I am having trouble with is understand how to actually tell a specific VI to stop or run once the EXE file is on the target.

-Can I put more than one application (EXE file) on the RT target?

-Is it possible to not start any application at startup?

Are there any good tutorials on how to put all the required data (application and supporting data) on a RT target and run one of the VIs programmatically?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,950 Views)
Hello Abdel,

Thank you for contacting National Instruments!  I think I have found some information that will assist you in programmatically running a VI on a Real-Time Target.  Please take a look at this Knowledgebase Article and let me know if you have any questions.  You may decide to move away from the Real-Time Executable in this case as you can have multiple Real-Time Executables stored on the controller but you can only run one at a time.  You may be more inclined to have separate VIs stored on your controller and then programmatically run them using the information in the Knowledgebase Article above.  Please post any further questions that you have here and I will be happy to assist you!  Have a great day!
Message Edited by Bob_H. on 12-26-2008 10:29 AM
Thanks!
Bob H
Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Message 2 of 2
(2,928 Views)