LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E-mail VIs - how to authenticate?

I am writing a proposal to add an e-mail notification feature to a DAQ app. In looking at the examples, sending the message seems simple enough....

EXCEPT

I know my own e-mail provider requires authentication to send any e-mail (%$@#!%^^# spammers!). There is a separate password that is sent before the message itself is sent. If the password is wrong, the message is not sent.

I see no place for this in the "SMTP Email Send Message (Small)" or the "SMTP Email Send Message" VIs.

So what happens if my client uses this and his server requires a password? Does he get a dialog asking for it? Does it reject all messages?

The help docs don't.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(5,400 Views)
Check out the OpenG SMTP Library. It says it supports authentication.
Message 2 of 10
(5,398 Views)
The RFC for authenticated SMTP is here:
http://www.faqs.org/rfcs/rfc2554.html

The way to use authentication is described in the RFC... you will need to use the AUTH keyword. In order to send raw commands you will need to use the lower level mail VI's that are included as subvi's of the routines placed on the LV palette. The lower level routines will let you send and receive text directly to/from the SMTP session, which is what you will have to do since there is no upper level mail VI with a 'Password' input.
Message 3 of 10
(5,398 Views)
Great, thanks.
I'm not an expert on the low-level stuff. So I'll have to parse the RFCs and emulate what a regular mail client can do.
As long as that's possible, I'm OK...
Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(5,398 Views)
Thanks for the pointer. It didn't work out of the box, but I'm still trying.
Steve Bird
Culverson.com

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(5,398 Views)
On Fri, 02 Apr 2004 14:30:22 -0600, CoastalMaineBird wrote:

> Thanks for the pointer. It didn't work out of the box, but I'm still
> trying.

Email the author if you continue to have trouble.
I hear he's a nice guy 😉
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(5,398 Views)
I've tried to upload this earlier but failed with it somehow. I created an extension to the SMTP VIs coming with LabVIEW 7.0 or the Internet Toolkit.

Basically it implements basic login authentification which is ok to prevent spammers using the SMTP server, but sends the password only base64 encoded (this means basically clear text!), so it is not really secure!

Anyhow I created also an alternative SMTP Open Session Enhanced.vi as some servers will only allow authentification and other enhanced SMTP features if the session was opened with the EHLO command instead of the HELO. The functions are in the attached VI library.
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 7 of 10
(5,398 Views)
Respected sir...
 I am an engineering student. i had done a project using LABVIEW. As a part of my project i am planning for email notification but i am unable to do that. So i require your kind help sir. I am using labview 8.5 evaluvation edition. Kindly help me. If some one has the sample code kindly mail me
 to the i.d. : myvsarun@yahoo.co.in Does it require professional edition of lab view or any other tool kits.
Thanking you in advance
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(4,248 Views)
Have you tried looking for example code using example finder in LabVIEW? You can find them under Help>>Find Examples>> Networking>> Internet & Web>>E-mail with data.VI

The evaluation version is actually the professional development system, so you should be able to use the SMTP send e-mail VIs.
Mehak D.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(4,213 Views)
Respected sir
       I tried with example you refered . But it tells the following error

Error 66 occurred at TCP Read in NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email TCP Read xTP Reply.vi:11->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Command.vi:10->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Open Session.vi:2->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send File Charset.vi:1->NI_SMTPEmail.lvlib:SMTP Email Send File.vi->EMail with Data.vi
Possible reason(s):

LabVIEW:  The network connection was closed by the peer. If you are using the Open VI Reference function on a remote VI Server connection, verify that the machine is allowed access by selecting Tools>>Options>>VI Server:Machine Access on the server side.

The computer i am using in the college lab is connected via the proxy server. So does it need any special configuration in the labview so as to communicate with the internet. I am planning to send the notification using labview from yahoo mail ID. So i need the technique to authenticate.

Thank you for your kind reply for my previous question sir..
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(4,196 Views)