LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Editing LabVIEW menus (not run-time)

Is there a way to edit the LabVIEW menu? I'm not looking to edit the run-time menu of the VIs. 

It seems like this should be something that should be able to be achieved using the scripting tools.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,832 Views)

Hi Nelson

What menus are are you refering to? The menus in the development enviroment, like File, Edit etc. or the the Functions/Controls Palettes?

Best Regards

David

NISW

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,815 Views)

I'm talking about the LabVIEW dev. environment (File, Tools, Help, Window, etc.)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,800 Views)

yes it is possilbe.

1. go to Edit

2. run-time-menu

now menu editor is opened. You can define your own menu items which appears when a VI is running.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,793 Views)

by the way you can catch the selected Item in a event look. See attached screenshot!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,791 Views)

Hi

FHM: Read the the Subject of this thread. It says (not run-time) Smiley Wink

Nelson: You can edit the menus in the Development enviroment by going to Tools->Options then selecting Menu Shortcuts. I haven't tried changing these programatically via scripting so I can't say if it's possible or not. Theoretically it should be doable. Give it a try Smiley Happy

Best Regards

David

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,779 Views)

Davidek: That menu doesn't allow you to add/delete items only change the keyboard shortcuts. 

I've actually gone so far as to put my registry export under source control AND the entire National Instruments directory under source control, installed a 3rd party software which adds a menu item and checked for differences, nothing. 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,765 Views)

You are absolutely right about that, my bad.

Strange that you don't see any changes in the files. I found this wiki that looks to be partly in the right direction.

Best Regards

David

Message 8 of 11
(3,749 Views)

Figured it out. 

You just have to create a VI, "Action.vi" and a text file "Action.txt" and drop it in the "project" folder if you want it put there. The display of the menu item is just the contents of the txt file. 

If you want to create a sub-menu, just create a folder and follow the same directions as above.

Turned out to be fairly simple. 

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,738 Views)
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,734 Views)