LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ethernet Powerflex 753

I am trying to communicate and command speed over ethernet on a Allen Bradley PowerFlex 753 using LabVIEW. Has anyone done this or have any tips that might be helpful? I'm unsure how to format the messages in LabView. 

Additionally, I I am having trouble setting up the ethernet device in MAX. I know the IP Address and am able to ping it in a cmd prompt, but MAX seems unable to see it.

Emp_Trajan_0-1707929461922.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(268 Views)

Based on my findings on PowerFlex 753 and PowerFlex 755 Pre-engineered FasTrac Packaged Drives and User Manual 20-COMM-M Modbus/TCP Adapter, it supports EtherNET/IP or Modbus over Ethernet

You might need NI-Industrial Communications for Ethernet/IP or Introduction to Modbus using LabVIEW

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(232 Views)

@Emp_Trajan wrote:

I am trying to communicate and command speed over ethernet on a Allen Bradley PowerFlex 753 using LabVIEW. Has anyone done this or have any tips that might be helpful? I'm unsure how to format the messages in LabView. 

Additionally, I I am having trouble setting up the ethernet device in MAX. I know the IP Address and am able to ping it in a cmd prompt, but MAX seems unable to see it.

Emp_Trajan_0-1707929461922.png

You try to access your device as a IEEE 488.2 aka VXI11 device over TCP/IP. That only works if your device really implements a VXI11 service on its side and Allen Bradley is probably doing that only a few months after the world has ended.

You could access it theoretically as a TCPIP::RAW device but the question would be: Why? Allen Bradley is an Ethernet/IP shop and will support that protocol first and foremost, then also offer a Modbus option, possibly as a paid option.

Implementing Ethernet/IP on your own using VISA TCPIP::RAW is not going to end well either. Ethernet/IP is "sold" as open standard, but in order to get the thick standard documents that describe all the layers and variants of it, you need to be member of the ODVA, Inc consortium and its membership is not cheap.

NI has an Ethernet/IP library and while it most likely works to communicate with your Allen Bradley controller, it's not exactly cheap and NI has for now stopped developing and improving it. It is factually an "It's what it is and if it works, that's nice for you, if it doesn't, please don't come and ask for technical support, we do not have technical support people on duty who would know how to help you with this."

Your best bet is likely to get Modbus TCP working on it and access it through one of the several Mobus LabVIEW libraries. Also not easy to do but with a high chance of success if you know what you are doing.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 3 of 4
(223 Views)

Yeah I finally got it to connect in MAX with the raw socket, but I see what you mean about it being incredibly difficult to actually figure out the formatting and contents of the messages I need. 

Thanks for the advice on Modbus, I think we are going to give that a try.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(201 Views)