cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Example of Test Bench for multiple FPGA I/O items

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm looking for an example on creating a Test Bench that simulates multiple FPGA I/O digital lines.  

I've gone through the Creating Test Benches tutorial but it only uses a single I/O item.  Read I/O Item Name.vi is obviously an important part of this but I'm not sure how to structure the VI and assign the name (especially since things seem to get wired up magically for a single IO item).

Any pointers to examples would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,964 Views)

Hi Steve,

What kind of hardware are you using?  Did you look in the NI Example Finder?  Which tutorial are you talking about?

Best,

Jeff S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,933 Views)

>>What kind of hardware are you using? 

In this case, NI 9401, but we will be expanding to cover several different module types

>>Did you look in the NI Example Finder? 

Yes.  There are two (in Labview 2011) returned with searching for "testbenches" that are very basic.

>>Which tutorial are you talking about?

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371599H-01/lvfpgaconcepts/test_bench_tutorial/

This shows how to use a Template from the "Execute VI on Development Computer with Simulated I/O" option on the Debugging tab of the FPGA Target Properties. The template covers a single input and it's not clear to me how to simulate more than a single input.

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,924 Views)
Solution
Accepted by maherhome

Hi Steve,

Do you mean multiple channels or multiple signals for each channel?  In the tutorial you posted, you can find the answer for each.

To create multiple channels, just repeat steps 5-9 in the "Test the FPGA VI on the Development Computer with a Custom VI" section for your inputs and steps 5-7 of the "Testing the Output I/O Item" for your outputs.

To create multiple test samples for a single channel, you can refer to "Testing the FPGA VI with a More Complex Custom VI" section.

Best,

Jeff S.
National Instruments
Message 4 of 6
(2,889 Views)

You're absolutely right, Jeff.  I didn't give the example the due diligence it deserved.  Thanks!

Steve

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,880 Views)

Awesome!  Good luck with your application!

Jeff

Jeff S.
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,865 Views)