LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA RIO connection

Hi @ all

I use a small program that gets some info of the chassis and the modules of my cRIO system. The program runs from an host application. The program itself works only if the “NO APP” switch (RT) is in on position.

Now the point:
If i take the program and put an reset (RT) or an image download (RT system replication) before it, then the attempt of connecting to the FPGA ends in an error.

The Error says:
connection is not established check your network
NI RIO Software is not installed on the target

I can eliminate both of this, because it works without the reset or RT system replication (the image uses the same NI RIO Software).

Has some one an Idea why that happens?
Does some one know the software architecture of RIO? (what happens step by step)

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,907 Views)

I think it is a timing problem. The RT reset VI is set to wait for restart. I figured that the RT is responding right after, but for some reason the rio device needs more time after the restart.

How can I, in general, check the status of the rio device after restart?  

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,872 Views)

Hi zerosun,

Do you have a startup executable on your CompactRIO?  The only thing that the No App switch should change is whether a startup application is started.  What RT Reset VI are you calling?  What error are you seeing?

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,860 Views)

Do you have a startup executable on your CompactRIO?  

Yes but It is not suppose to run at this point. The system check starts from the host and runs first. That is where I get the error.

The only thing that the No App switch should change is whether a startup application is started.

Yes.

What RT Reset VI are you calling?  

RT Restart Target.vi (LabView 2010)

What error are you seeing?

Error -63040 occurred at niLvFpga_Open_cRIO-9104.vi

Possible reason(s):

NI-RIO:  (Hex 0xFFFF09C0) A connection could not be established to the specified remote device. Ensure that the device is on and accessible over the network, that NI-RIO software is installed, and that the RIO server is running and properly configured.

For NI-RIO 2.3 and later, refer to Software>>NI-RIO>>NI-RIO Settings under the system in MAX.

Prior

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,847 Views)

hi

try to first open MAX configure CRIO properly

then install software on it , any version that you are using like NI-crio 3.4 or any new version depending upon you labview version

if software not installed you can instal them by add/remove software manually also

hopes it will sort out the problem

tc

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,834 Views)

Hi

Thanks, but I don’t have a software problem. The app works fine in my set up. The error occurs only if I set a reset vi in front of my app. I already know that, even if I call the reset vi in wait until restart ends mode, it starts before the Rio device is ready.  The result is the error you can see above.

I just wait a couple of seconds after the reset and the rio device is active again, but that is not a satisfying solution.  

I need a tool that tells me when the rio device is active again, because the reset vi itself is not accurate enough.

zerosun

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,820 Views)

Hi zerosun,

When you say that you have a startup application that isn't supposed to run, how do you ensure that it isn't running?  Also, is this code running on your Windows host or an RT target?  When you call the restart do you monitor the status light to ensure that the device has successfully restarted?  Finally, how are you sure this isn't a software problem?  Reinstalling software on an RT target is usually a quick matter that can fix some software issues that crop up from installing and uninstalling applications.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,799 Views)

Hi Jared,

When you say that you have a startup application that isn't supposed to run, how do you ensure that it isn't running?  

The “NO App” switch is set to on before restart.

Also, is this code running on your Windows host or an RT target?

Host.

When you call the restart do you monitor the status light to ensure that the device has successfully restarted?

I don’t, because the “RT reset VI” has a Boolean input, which says wait until restart finish.  

Finally, how are you sure this isn't a software problem?

Because the software part that returns the error works fine, only if I put a “RT reset VI”  before I get the error.  

Reinstalling software on an RT target is usually a quick matter that can fix some software issues that crop up from installing and uninstalling applications.

Thomas

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,784 Views)

Hi zerosun,

So you have the No App switch on throughout the whole running of your application?  I'm not entirely sure if this will prevent a start up application when doing a software reset.  One quick test for this would be to unset your startup application and see if it works that way.  Also, I was under the impression that you didn't want the No App switch to be on.  Is that not correct?

Furthermore, software problems can show themselves in very odd ways.  While I don't believe this is anymore, the fact that one part is working for sure does not mean there isn't a software problem.  Since different components are used for the different parts of this procedure, one of them could be failing when calling the Restart VI.

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,729 Views)

Hi

I didn’t investigate further, I just implemented a 10 second delay and the cRio device comes up. I am not sure what happens and I don’t have the time to check it out.

Thanks @ all

thomas  

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,620 Views)