cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FPGA sine wave on the myRIO audio out?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I want to generate a roughly 200mV 50Hz sine wave on one of the channels of the myRIO audio output. I want to use the FPGA on the myRIO to save CPU space. I am struggling to find a solution. I have attached my main.vi. I am also brand new to labVIEW.

Regards

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,332 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author AKid

Hi AKid,

is that VI meant to run on the FPGA? Are you sure all those functions/ExpressVIs are allowed for FPGA programming?

Did you compile this VI for FPGA? Did you get any error messages while trying so?

I am also brand new to labVIEW.

Did you notice those learning resources offered in the header of this LabVIEW board?

I suggest 3 steps:

1. Learn LabVIEW basics.

2. Learn LabVIEW-RealTime basics.

3. Learn LabVIEW-FPGA basics.

(This may sound harsh, but is good advice from own experience.)

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 6
(2,326 Views)

Hi AKid, 

It's probably best to put this on the RT or the host computer. 

Is there a reason you want this done on the FPGA? That's used for simple and fast computation usually because there is such limited space on the chip. 

Best 

David

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,295 Views)

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,294 Views)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the advice. I did the FPGA module at ni learn and got what I needed to know. I have another question.

So I can generate my sine wave on the fpga and in the host VI, I can change my amplitude and frequency through the front panel in real time, however, when I make this host VI a sub VI to use in my main.vi, as attached below, it doesn't change the variables in real time. What am I doing wrong? Regards

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,271 Views)

Hi AKid,

I did the FPGA module at ni learn and got what I needed to know.

Did you also take the (core) LabVIEW basics course?

What am I doing wrong?

THINK DATAFLOW!

Your "subVI" has a loop (minor fail) and waits for user input (big fail).

As the subVI does NOT open its frontpanel the input can never occur! Moreover you are using a headless RIO device: there is no display to show any frontpanels…

Simple solution: integrate to code of your subVI in the MainVI.

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 6 of 6
(2,267 Views)