cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Front panel architecture

Solved!
Go to solution

@Ben wrote:

When in Main mode, the widget name indicator should change to a red background.

Well, I'm more of a "form follows function" kind of designer, so either than "Main mode" actually means something to the function of a Module, in which case it needs to be told what the mode is, or it doesn't mean anything and the coloration seems very odd to me. 

For example: If we had: "When the temperature is above 30degC turn the wind-speed indicator red."  

My response would be:

Temperature must affect Wind Speed measurement, so the Wind-Speed-Module needs to know the temperature.   If not, then this is a confusing and pointless requirement; let's make the Temperature Module show red when it's hot, not the Wind-Speed-Module.

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 16
(973 Views)

For people who don't have 7zip, I attach the program in .zip this time.

@crossrulz wrote:

User Events.  Yes, a poorly named feature.  But they are very useful.

Quick examples I was able to find:

User Events Demo

User Event Example

I never looked at the generation of user events because of the name, thank you. 

I see how I can use that to change proprieties. I should be easy to implement and solve a lot of my problems. 

For data updates I still need to think about how to implement it without firing 50 events / second.

The program works like it is, I don't want to change too many things and centralise seems to be easier with limited modifications. But I am here to receive suggestions and advice so if I find a way to modularise I'll give it a try.

Yddet

0 Kudos
Message 12 of 16
(965 Views)

In your consumer loop, you are checking the status of a a queue. If no elements in the queue, then you have a wait function. Just dequeue the data as it comes in, have no timeout, much simpler.

You are using the OpenG data type parsing VIs; not sure when the change occurred but newer versions of LabVIEW have explicit support for data type parsing, much faster than the OpenG methods. See snippet below.

snip.png

mcduff

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 16
(954 Views)

"Main mode" should have read "Maint. Mode" as in maintenance mode

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 14 of 16
(935 Views)

Thank you everyone, you helped me a lot.

I now use a combinaison of user events and action engines, and it works great ! Both "functions" I did not understand before

Yddet

Message 15 of 16
(856 Views)

This is why we can't have nice things, this is why LabVIEW gets a bad wrap for not being a proper programming language. This is why newbies want more 'Control and Indicator' References. This is how to properly implement Local and Global variables in LabIEW. This is why you need dual wide-screen monitors to program effectively in LabVIEW. This is why you need a ball-mouse.

Bad LabVIEW Diagram Example.png

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 16
(820 Views)