LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hide my Main Program during version selection process

I have created a GUI for operation of our various vehicle and systems.  When operators run the executable, it opens the front panel of the GUI and they are prompted with a  pop-up window to allow them to select the vehicle type for the Control GUI - as seen in the Selection Screen Image below.  

Relec_1-1713552738379.png

After selecting the Vehicle, a loading screen will appear while the GUI details and panels are loaded for that vehicle configuration (Initializing Screen below).  

Relec_3-1713552892765.png

Once everything loads, the correct Vehicle GUI is displayed for the test/operations team to use.  

Relec_4-1713553005843.png

I would prefer a cleaner setup.  Ideally I want to only see the selection screen pop-up when they run the executable.  After the selection is made, then only the initializing pop-up should be visible.  And after initializing is complete then the Vehicle GUI would appear - populated with the correct panels and parameters.  

In code - the Selection Pop-up VI occurs prior to initializing my Main Queue.  The Initializing pop-up VI will start to run after the Main Queue starts to initialize.  

Relec_6-1713554059110.png

Is there some way to hide the Main UI front panel until the Selection and Initialization pop-up closes?  

Thanks

LV2018 SP1.  

Relec

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(190 Views)

Get a property node for the VI of the window you want to hide, and change its "Front Panel Window.State" property to hidden:

Kyle97330_0-1713569131926.png

Then after the user makes a choice, set it back:

Kyle97330_1-1713569187584.png

Or you could redo your popup VI to be your main VI, and launch the panel that is currently your main VI as a subVI from it, and hide your popup VI in the same way after the choice is made.

Message 2 of 3
(161 Views)

Thanks for the input.  
I tried the front panel state - but setting it back to standard didn't bring the panel back.  I believe I switched it to Maximized and it worked, but I still ended up with the front panel blinking momentarily before it becomes hidden.  I could have played around with Window Appearance in VI Properties to get it to work, but didn't figure that out early enough.  
I opted for option #2 - moved the selection VI out of the main program.  For Runtime environment - I use System Exec.vi to call the main program executable and close the front panel of the selection VI.  I still had the problem with the momentary blinking of the main program.  But I then adjusted Window Appearance - unclicking Show front panel when called.  Made sure the Main program FP was Hidden and Transparent (100%), and after everything is initialized I set FP to be 0% transparent and maximized.  

For development environment, I just call the main program and set transparency to 100 for the selection VI.  The main program sets the transparency to 0 for the selection VI when it stops execution - this allows me to test things in development mode without having to re-open the selection VI after every shutdown.  

Relec

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(50 Views)