LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cRIO-9047 and SD Card

I'm working with a cRIO-9047 (Linux RT) with an SD Card for saving data files.  It seems I have to go through the following steps to be able to save to the SD Card:

1. ssh into cRIO
  2. "lsblk" to list available drives
    • the SD Card shows up as "mmcblk0p1" for me
  3. "mount" to list where SD card is mounted
    • if mounted, the SD card shows up as "/dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/sd"
  4. if the SD Card is mounted, "umount /media/sd" to unmount
  5. "mkfs.ext4 /media/sd" to format the SD Card
  6. "mount /dev/mmcblk0p1 /media/sd" to mount SD Card
  7. "chmod 777 /media/sd" to update access premissions

I tried this with both a 32GB and 256GB SD Card.  (for some reason I was unable to save data files using FAT32 for the 32GB card)

This article indicates that FAT32 should work for the 32GB card: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000P7iaSAC&l=en-US

This article indicates that 32GB is capacity limit for SD Cards when working with cRIO: https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA03q000001E9b7CAC&l=en-US

Are there any risks using the 256GB SD Card with the ext4 file system format?  (this seems to be working so far)

Any thoughts on why FAT32 format didn't work (no write access) for the 32GB SD Card?

Software versions:

• LabVIEW 2023 Q3
  • NI-RIO 2023 Q4
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(113 Views)

I think the problem mentioned in the article stems from the fact that SDXC mandates using exFAT as the file system, which is not supported by NI Linux RT (because it incurs license costs?). So if you reformat it, is technically no longer an SDXC card in the strict sense?

Anyway, I did not encounter problems with SDXC cards reformatted to ext4.

Does the 32GB card have a write protection slider by any chance?

Message 2 of 3
(70 Views)

Thanks for the response.

The 32GB card does have the slider but I did verify it was in the unlocked position.  (I formatted it to NTFS at one point and created a dummy txt file on Windows.)

And thanks for sharing that you have been able to use ext4 format without issues.  Its nice to know I'm not the only one doing this.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(57 Views)