LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I change the chassis type in an existing CompactRIO project?

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I've got a cRIO project built in LabView 8.2 for a 9101 chassis. I now want to port it to LabView 2009, and use it on a 9104 chassis. I would have thought this should be straightforward, but there's a VI on the FPGA itself. When compiling this, I get the error "The device type that has been configured in this function does not match the actual type of the device". I don't want to have to delete the chassis from the project & add it back (losing any settings it may have) - is there any way just to change the target type but still keeping the relevant settings?

Thanks for any help!

Dave

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(10,420 Views)
There's no way to easily change the chassis type.  I would suggest that you create a new project, create your hardware in that, and then copy and paste all the variables, IO items, FIFOs, VIs, etc., that are in the original project to the new project.  I'm not sure how well that will work, but that's the first thing I'd try.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(10,408 Views)

Thanks - I was afraid that might be the case:(

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(10,403 Views)

You shouldn't need a new project.

You can just create a new CompactRIO controller and chassis to your current project then copy and paste within the same project.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(10,392 Views)
It's sometimes easier with a new project though because you can't have two of the same controller (all IP addresses must be unique) in a project.  If that's not a concern, then one project is perfectly fine.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(10,391 Views)
Solution
Accepted by dave_burbridge

Hi Dave,

once you have practised it several times it actually is a piece of cake.

Right click on Project select New Target or Device

Just rember to specify that rather than existing target.

else you will have a conflict.

The new target is initialised with the standard Ip (0,0,0,0)  so then re assign address.

Copy (drag) all components  to the new device  (RT & FPGA if included)

Note that is a rather manual job as you have to 'tell ' labview what hardware it should include!

regards

Xseadog

Message 6 of 14
(10,348 Views)

Having to update all the FPGA to RT connections (read/write controls, methods and properties) is a rather painful process, especially if you have quite a few.

We want to use a different cRIO (9014) for dev purposes and then re-deploy on the original cRIO (9012).

I would have thought that this process of simply changing the chassis/FPGA would have been as straigt-forward as 'right-click, change chassis'. Within reason, of course.

Any updates or fantastic ideas, other than copy and painful paste ?

Message 7 of 14
(9,901 Views)

Good news, if you're just changing the RT controller (you mentioned 9014 to 9012) then you don't have to really do anything in your project besides changing the IP address of the controller.  If you're changing the backplane/FPGA target, that's where you will have difficulties.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 14
(9,876 Views)

LabVIEW does so many wonderful things, but the inability to perform what should be a simple task, such as upgrade a RT chassis within a LV Project, bewilders me. This is going to cost me hours, I just know it... Smiley Sad

Is there anything on the Idea Exchange for this?? A quick search shows nothing, so maybe I'll add an entry.

Thoric (CLA, CLED, CTD and LabVIEW Champion)

Message 9 of 14
(8,784 Views)

Hi Thoric,

there are ideas already ...

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(8,780 Views)