LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to expand a Case Structure so it adds other code?

Solved!
Go to solution

How do I expand a case structure so that it adds other code instead of pushing it around?

For example I want expand the structure below so that it includes the increment vi.   This is a simplified example.  Normally I want to add (or remove) a lot more code, and disconnecting and reconnecting a bunch of wires is tedious and risky.

jncuevas_1-1689352140181.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(608 Views)

This doesn't make a lot of sense. Would you want the code to be added to all cases or just one? Typically the number of tunnels can change and how should it decide what connects to where?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(589 Views)

It makes perfect sense.  The code would go in the selected case, if the LabVIEW developers wanted it to be intuitive.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(570 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jncuevas

It would not be intuitive for me. It is quite rare for me to want that behavior. 99% of the time I move a case structure I want to add room, not move stuff inside the frame. I would certainly not want that to be the default.

There isn't a way (as far as I can tell) to have it wrap new stuff in as you expand it, BUT you can move the structure, then just drag the other stuff inside. LabVIEW does a pretty good job of maintaining wire connections over border moves, so you should be able to just drag it in without needing to disconnect and reconnect all the wires.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(566 Views)

@BertMcMahan wrote:

It would not be intuitive for me. It is quite rare for me to want that behavior. 99% of the time I move a case structure I want to add room, not move stuff inside the frame. I would certainly not want that to be the default.

There isn't a way (as far as I can tell) to have it wrap new stuff in as you expand it, BUT you can move the structure, then just drag the other stuff inside. LabVIEW does a pretty good job of maintaining wire connections over border moves, so you should be able to just drag it in without needing to disconnect and reconnect all the wires.

Caveat here, the auto-rewire thing was only present in LV 2015 and newer.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(533 Views)

@jncuevas wrote:

How do I expand a case structure so that it adds other code instead of pushing it around?

For example I want expand the structure below so that it includes the increment vi.   This is a simplified example.  Normally I want to add (or remove) a lot more code, and disconnecting and reconnecting a bunch of wires is tedious and risky.

jncuevas_1-1689352140181.png

Dragging the increment in, rather than expanding the structure is the solution. 

If there's too much to drag in, you're doing it wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(468 Views)