LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get Device interanl detail or System details by LabVIEW or other means?

Hi Allllllllllll,

I am developing an application, in which i have to get the internal detail of remote devices, like for now i have to get details of default setting of power meter and have to change configuation setting programatically. So there is any VI or command set to get these details.

waiting for ur positive reply

Prashant Soni
LabVIEW Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,421 Views)

Hi Prashant,

This really depends on the remote device that you are using and the limitations of the driver for it.

If there is a driver, then LabVIEW can only push and pull to the inputs and ouputs available to it through that specific driver.

Do you already have the driver for this device?

Liam A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,412 Views)

Hey Hi,

Actually i dont have drive but i have heard that by some specific command or any LV software or third party software(utility), we can get details.

but i m not mkuch sure about it so i have posted this ...........

Prashant Soni
LabVIEW Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,404 Views)

Hi,

Ok, the drivers, if available can be found here http://www.ni.com/devzone/idnet/

Once you have the driver, it can be explored using NI VISA and LabVIEW to determine exactly the limits of communication between the two.

I hope this helps!

Liam A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 4 of 6
(2,400 Views)

I'd like to clarify something. Liam said "LabVIEW can only push and pull to the inputs and ouputs available to it through that specific driver." For GPIB/USB/Serial/Ethernet instruments, the limitation is the instrument itself. A LabVIEW driver can only implement the functions that the instrument vendor has decided to place into the instrument's firmware. If someone told you that there was a generic, universal command to query any instrument's settings, that person is seriously mistaken and should not be trusted when giving any advice about remote controlled instruments.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,388 Views)

Apologies if I implied that there was a single specific command for querying settings of a remote device, looking back at the board I can see how this could have been taken and I should have stated that there is no such command.

Many thanks Dennis for clarifying this answer.

Happy New Year to all!

Liam A.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,298 Views)