LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to organize project items?

Solved!
Go to solution

Is there a way to alphabetize the items that are in a project window? I have the stuff under "dependencies" and "my computer" but it is all out of order and hard to navigate.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(1,132 Views)
Solution
Accepted by LearningLabVIEW

Right-click on a folder in the project window and choose to Arrange By->Name.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(1,121 Views)

I would also suggest using virtual folders to help you organize your files. Even if they are in a single folder on disk you can use virtual folders to organize files by feature/function/domain. This should make finding files easier.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 3 of 12
(1,110 Views)

I would also suggest auto-populating virtual folders.  You can drag item directly from Dependencies into your virtual folder, but if they are in the auto-populating folder it saves this step.

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(1,070 Views)

@Michael_Munroe wrote:

I would also suggest auto-populating virtual folders.  You can drag item directly from Dependencies into your virtual folder, but if they are in the auto-populating folder it saves this step.

I'm curious... why would you want to drag dependencies into your project?  I would leave them where they are because the chances are almost 100% that you don't really want them as part of your project.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(1,046 Views)

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

I would also suggest using virtual folders to help you organize your files. Even if they are in a single folder on disk you can use virtual folders to organize files by feature/function/domain. This should make finding files easier.

I keep a fairly flat file structure and depend mostly on virtual folders to organize my files.  My answer for people who complain that it's sometimes difficult to understand in Windows Explorer is, "Don't look at it in Windows Explorer.  That's what the project explorer is for."  This makes for nice, neat commits.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(1,044 Views)

Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(1,030 Views)

@billko wrote:

@Michael_Munroe wrote:

I'm curious... why would you want to drag dependencies into your project?  I would leave them where they are because the chances are almost 100% that you don't really want them as part of your project.

You drag items from the dependencies when you find dependencies that actually should be in your project.  Alternatively, you find dependencies you need to refactor out of your code.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 8 of 12
(1,014 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

@billko wrote:

@Michael_Munroe wrote:

You drag items from the dependencies when you find dependencies that actually should be in your project.  Alternatively, you find dependencies you need to refactor out of your code.

I understand this reason, but I think if you are regularly doing this, it might be time to rethink your workflow and/or your LabVIEW organization.  Everything that I can think of generating, be it creating subVIs from existing code, or using the rename dialog to creat a duplicate vi - always results in the new VI being at least in the project.  That's what I meant by "almost 100%".  I rarely move things in and out of my dependency folder.  But then again, I fully admit that most of my LabVIEW tasks are quite mundane and maybe unless projects get truly complicated, I wouldn't see this often.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(972 Views)

@Michael_Munroe wrote:

The only downside i've found with auto pop, is if you have folders inside a class or library (we always have a separate folder for Private and Protected functions), then you'll get the folders in the project, but the VI's themselves are under the class/library they belong to. That file is ofc placed where the .lvclass is located.

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(911 Views)