LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imap client

Has anyone used IMAP to send emails in 8.5 yet? I need to send emails (alarm notifications) to a gmail acount and am having problems with the cookbook vi's I'm finding. Does anyone have any ideas? I need to use IMAP because when I go onsite for the startup I'll be using the clients email server which uses IMAP.

Part of my problem is I don't compleatly understand IMAP. When sending an email I am actually using SMTP right? I just use IMAP to view and organize current emails on the server right?

I can use outlook but has anyone been able to override the popup message that warns you of an outgoing email? Thunderbird was a second option but it doesn't seem to support ActiveX.

Any direction here would be of great help

Thanks for the help.
Matt Kuss
System Architect
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,905 Views)
Hi Matt,

IMAP, which stands for Internet Message Access Protocol, is one way to retrieve email from a server.  You are correct that SMTP can be used to send emails which will be accessed by an IMAP client. 

Have you tried using the SMTP Email VIs?  These are located on the Functions Palette under Data Communication >> Protocols >> SMTP Email.  If these were the VIs that were giving you problems earlier, what seemed to be wrong?  Also, you may be interested in the example program "E-Mail Notification.vi" which can be found in the LabVIEW Example Finder under Networking >> Internet & Web. 
Jennifer R.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,864 Views)
IMAP is for managing received emails. Sending emails is done using SMTP. Even the standard IMAP refers to SMTP.

The problem with the SMTP VIs at least until LV8.2.1 is that they don't support authentication when sending email. More and more Internet service providers require it on sending emails.  For ISPs resident in Germany this is regulated in some laws. All modern email clients support authentication for SMTP. Maybe this is what your problem lies in. Check with the mail server admin for the need of authentication.
Waldemar

Using 7.1.1, 8.5.1, 8.6.1, 2009 on XP and RT
Don't forget to give Kudos to good answers and/or questions
Message 3 of 3
(3,850 Views)