LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In 2023 Should I be using LabVIEW 32bit or 64bit.

For the most part yes. A VI can be opened in 64-bit or 32-bit without issue.

The issues arise when the code calls third party drivers, toolkits, dll or ppls that are developed in the bitness other than the one you are opening it. Example: You have vi's that calls a 32-bit dll. If you try to open the VI's in 64-bit it will complain about the dll not being loadable.

0 Kudos
Message 31 of 35
(451 Views)

The one thing I noticed with 64 bit is loss of User32 functions like Mouse Move.

A solvable problem, just didn't get around to working on it.

Now that my only 64 bit project is completed that task is on hold.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 32 of 35
(407 Views)

@stevem181 wrote:

The one thing I noticed with 64 bit is loss of User32 functions like Mouse Move.

What do you mean? They are not lost at all. You might think so because of the name "user32.dll", but that's a 64-bit dll.

Here's an example.

Certified LabVIEW Architect
Message 33 of 35
(398 Views)

@thols wrote:

@stevem181 wrote:

What do you mean? They are not lost at all. You might think so because of the name "user32.dll", but that's a 64-bit dll.

Here's an example.

It can be tricky though, as handles are not pointers. MS's API isn't always too transparent about values being handles or pointers.

Mouse move will probably work OoTB.

0 Kudos
Message 34 of 35
(377 Views)

I was incorrect. My only experience with 64 bit LabVIEW was in a Virtual Machine.

Since you let me know that it does work, I checked on the operation of VMs.

Now I know why SetCursorPos does not work.

The VM would have to change the cursor position on the Host PC.

So it makes sense that this limitation exists.

Lesson: VMs and SetCursorPos are not compatible.

Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
0 Kudos
Message 35 of 35
(356 Views)