cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It is okay to remove Cached package

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I found that cached packages take up 50 GB of C drive on my computer. Would it be a problem if I remove all of them from C drive? Thanks.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(934 Views)

If you ever build an installer you'll be in trouble.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(929 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TimK0315

It depends (as always). The Application Builder (or NI Package Builder) often uses them to build your application installer when you add additional packages to the Installer. If they are missing, your next installer build may keep prompting you for some of them, and it is typically very picky about which it will accept. It will want the package that was originally installed from the media that it was originally installed. If you installed it from a web download two years ago, just downloading it again even if it is the same version is usually not enough. You have to uninstall the old and install the new package to make it match the version information exactly between what the installer builder wants and what you try to put it under its nose to pass as that package.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(926 Views)

The agree with the previous replies. Your question is similar to a recent one in the NI Package Manager forum along with my reply linked below might give you more details for your question about the packages directory cache.

Re: Installed LabVIEW with NIPM - can I delete the NI *.msi Files in Windows\Installer 

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(904 Views)

Thank you for reply. If so, could I move the cached packages to an external hard drive? Is it possible for me to use these packages that moved back from this external hard drive if they are needed?

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(899 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TimK0315

Yes. NI Package Manager does not currently create a feed to manage these files but it does track the package file signatures, so if the expected file is unchanged and added back, NI Package Manager will find and can use it when building a feed or an installer.

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(870 Views)