LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW RT on third party targets

Solved!
Go to solution

Can LabVIEW RT be used with any target that runs VxWorks or Pharlap?

We have software developed in LabVIEW RT for cFP and RIO controllers, and like the way the whole setup works - with an in-built ftp- and web server, development and debugging from a host computer etc.

We now need the same software in a compact and rugged subsea unit. Putting a controller inside would not be very practical though, so we are looking for better ways to do this without having to ditch LV RT in the process. 

Single board RIOs could be an option, but they are still rather large, they do not seem to be built for much vibration(?), and they have plenty of unnecessary IO (we just need TCP/IP and serial, preferably multiple RS485 ports).  Are there any NI products that would be more suitable, and if not - is it possible to run LabVIEW RT on other hardware if it runs the same OS, i.e. VxWorks or Pharlap?

The next choice would be a single board computer running XP Embedded or Windows Mobile... It needs to be tiny, energy efficient and rugged though. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,236 Views)

Hi,

Due to the way LabVIEW RT is installed it is specifically targetted to NI hardware and some Dell Desktops dependant on the type of motherboard due to ethernet drivers. A product you may be interested in is CompactRIO, it offers a ruggedised shell with a real time processing unit, back plane FPGA for fast communication and the ability to add different C-Series modules which would be perfect for your serial needs.

The device is very energy efficient as it runs a slow processor but with a real time operating system and also offers the ability to provide a backup power supply.

The C-Series modules you would probably be most interested in are the RS485 modules

Let me know if you have any other questions/concerns or require more details,

All the best

Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,224 Views)
Solution
Accepted by Mads

Hi Mads,

Although cRIO or sbRIO would be the best  options, it is possible to run LabVIEW Real-Time (based on Phar Lap ETS) on some generic PCs and single-board computers. Compatibility is based on processor architecture (x86), ethernet chipse, and a few other pieces. Specific requirements are noted at: (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/8239#toc2).

To quickly test a 3rd party PC or single-board computer for compatibility, you can use a create a bootable USB stick and run a utility that is available in NI-MAX or downloaded from the following page: (http://zone.ni.com/devzone/cda/tut/p/id/2733#toc2).

Please let me know if you have any additional questions, and have a great day!

Regards,

Casey Weltzin

Product Manager, LabVIEW Real-Time
National Instruments

Message 3 of 5
(3,213 Views)

I have successfully tested the Kontron pITX-SP single board computer with USB utility (Labview 2010), but I am still looking for some SBC with serial ports compatible with RT.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,850 Views)

How you did it, I been trying to do the same, could you explain us how you did it please?

"Everything that has a beginning has an end"
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,742 Views)