LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW executable installation fails with Windows update

I had created a LabVIEW executable and an installer using 2019 LabVIEW and Windows 10 pro. I have installed the same application on multiple computers with Windows in 3 years. I have had 2 instances:

1. Application Installation and exe worked fine on a computer with Windows Version 21H2 OSbuild 19044.1415. However, executable stopped working after the OS got updated to OSbuild 19044.1526. We had to revert the version in order to continue using the application on this computer.

2. Application Installation and exe worked fine on a Windows 10 computer. Application was uninstalled from that computer. After some time, the OS was upgraded to Windows 11. When the technician attempted to re-install the application, the installation went through and seemed successful, but the exe didn't open. We found that the installed folders were missing some files, which hinted that something blocked a complete installation. Again. this occurrence depended on the OS version. 

Does anyone know what could get rid of such dependency? I am not sure if I can share the LabVIEW content but I will try to provide as much information as needed.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(460 Views)

Any chance some virus scanner software or similar is involved?

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(459 Views)

Did you run the application and/or installed as administrator?  Maybe one or both is trying to access a place with restricted permissions that got put into place on an update.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(416 Views)

That was my first guess and we disabled any antivirus or windows defender on those computers. It used to work before but didn’t for the recent windows 10 and 11 versions.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(414 Views)

Yes I did. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(411 Views)

@OptiKal32 wrote:

Yes I did. 

Hint -- when you provide "just the answer", and there are several preceding questions, it may be unclear what "Yes I did" means -- Yes, you did what?

[The other way to do this is to "quote" a bit of the original response.  In the Forums, you do this by reading the previous Post, as here I read yours, then in the Toolbar, click on the big "Quotation Mark" (which shows "Quote" when you hover over it) and click to paste the Quote into your Reply.  Trim as needed, and start responding.]

Welcome to the Forums!

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(357 Views)

@Kyle97330 wrote:

Did you run the application and/or installed as administrator?  Maybe one or both is trying to access a place with restricted permissions that got put into place on an update.

Yes we run the application as administrator. We also tried to login as admin for the installation.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(334 Views)

@Bob_Schor wrote:

@OptiKal32 wrote:

Yes I did. 

Hint -- when you provide "just the answer", and there are several preceding questions, it may be unclear what "Yes I did" means -- Yes, you did what?

[The other way to do this is to "quote" a bit of the original response.  In the Forums, you do this by reading the previous Post, as here I read yours, then in the Toolbar, click on the big "Quotation Mark" (which shows "Quote" when you hover over it) and click to paste the Quote into your Reply.  Trim as needed, and start responding.]

Welcome to the Forums!

Bob Schor

Thank you for the suggestion and tips!!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(332 Views)

Can you rebuild the EXE with debugging enabled and put it on one of the upgraded PCs?  It may be that you can browse through the VIs contained in the EXE to isolate the broken parts of it.  Best guess would be to look for a DLL call of some kind where it or another DLL it depends on doesn't work on the updated PC.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(309 Views)

@OptiKal32 wrote:

@Bob_Schor wrote:

@OptiKal32 wrote:

Yes I did. 

Welcome to the Forums!

Bob Schor

Thank you for the suggestion and tips!!

To be fair, the quote button used to be on the bottom and it said "Quote".  I had trouble finding it when it moved to the tool bar as well.

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(297 Views)