cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

@1100fps wrote:

Because I work in the machine vision industry, I may have to think about jumping to an alternate platform and will start tracking features on competing platforms.  I hate to start learning a new programming environment, but given the disparity in feature sets, and customer support, it may be time.  Sigh.

As far as machine vision goes, you should have looked at other options already for some years. IMAQ Vision was a nice Toolkit 20 years ago after they had purchased it from an Alliance Member and reworked it to be more inline with other LabVIEW VI libraries. NI-IMAQ and IMAQdx where promising hardware drivers. NI has many years ago pretty much stopped selling Vision acquisition hardware (yes they have or rather had two or so display port cards) but since quite a few years they discontinued pretty much everything else that had to do with vision hardware. IMAQ Vision hasn't seen any significant change other than very minor fixes in something like 8 - 10 years.

The OCR functions and barcode functions often don't work, where other libraries like Halcon have no problems with exactly the same source image. So yes, NI abandoned machine vision more or less and several years ago they stopped the motion business unit completely. Machine vision in LabVIEW is still possible, and if you have not to involved requirements you may even get away with using IMAQ Vision, but for modern and professional machine Vision libraries you need to look elsewhere. The problem there is that they don't do LabVIEW bindings, so you have to create them yourself if you want to use it in LabVIEW.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 341 of 752
(1,832 Views)

@Jay14159265 wrote:

It is impossible to be as "good" at python as you can be with labview because python does not have built in UI support.... For example if you want to make a simple application that opens a file and plots some data based on some UI settings. In labview that is maybe 1hour to make it look real nice.

LabVIEW has many strengths, but making modern UIs is not one of them. I compared the strengths and weaknesses of LabVIEW vs. Qt several years ago and I daresay the comparison still holds: https://forum.qt.io/topic/90276/showdown-qt-vs-labview

The only GUI-related area where LabVIEW shines is that it lets you get a simple plot up and running quickly. But be prepared for pain if you want to make a LabVIEW UI that's dynamic, user-configurable, multilingual, has complex charts, scalable to different screen sizes, adapts to different DPIs, supports SVGs, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think the lack of built-in UI support is a big issue, since there are multiple GUI toolkits for Python to choose from. Some even provide graphical editors.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 342 of 752
(1,800 Views)

@JKSH wrote:

@Jay14159265 wrote:

It is impossible to be as "good" at python as you can be with labview because python does not have built in UI support.... For example if you want to make a simple application that opens a file and plots some data based on some UI settings. In labview that is maybe 1hour to make it look real nice.

LabVIEW has many strengths, but making modern UIs is not one of them. I compared the strengths and weaknesses of LabVIEW vs. Qt several years ago and I daresay the comparison still holds: https://forum.qt.io/topic/90276/showdown-qt-vs-labview

The only GUI-related area where LabVIEW shines is that it lets you get a simple plot up and running quickly. But be prepared for pain if you want to make a LabVIEW UI that's dynamic, user-configurable, multilingual, has complex charts, scalable to different screen sizes, adapts to different DPIs, supports SVGs, etc. etc. etc.

I don't think the lack of built-in UI support is a big issue, since there are multiple GUI toolkits for Python to choose from. Some even provide graphical editors.

I don't know if it can be set up for Python, but for C++, QtCreator is great.

Message 343 of 752
(1,767 Views)

@Jay14159265  ha scritto:

@psuedonym wrote:

You answered my first set of questions.

But how good are you with Python now as compared to LabVIEW?

And how long have you been writing Python?

I actually learned C first then LabVIEW, but I am having a lot of difficulty being able to write Python code to do even the simplest of tasks. Example: read text file and parse it.

It is a mind block with Python versus Visual Basic, C, C# for me.

Sorry about that, Sometimes I get going on a tangent. I am playing the part of the jilted lover here. I used to love labview, then two things happened. 1) in 2019 I talked a good client into using NXG for a product (because that was where labview was going right?) then they killed NXG and now I am still doing a bunch of pro-bono work to save my reputation with them.  So it was bad but no a deal breaker, still love LabVIEW. Then boom 2) labvew is now SaaS and I have to maintain a contract or I can't even see my code, yea that is a hard NO THANKS!

So to answer your question, It is impossible to be as "good" at python as you can be with labview because python does not have built in UI support. Python was not designed like labview or C# or VB6 to have a UI built into the IDE so you have to go out and make one, which makes every application more complex and therefore slower to develop so it is much harder to be good at python than it is to be good at labview. For example if you want to make a simple application that opens a file and plots some data based on some UI settings. In labview that is maybe 1hour to make it look real nice. In Python, if you don't already have some personal pre made UI code in your back pocket, its going to take you a day, if you are good. If you already have a UI framework to work with it takes maybe 2 hours, so double. Another side of Python is that it is object oriented (not required but who writes non OOP python?) which takes a bit more time to set up all your objects and you are at the mercy of how fast you can type so that is a factor. 

As for how long, I have been writing python professionally since 2016 but I have really picked up the pace in the last 3 years because people want it. I have been using LabVIEW and C# professionally since 2013. I used those and a few other languages for hobbies and school since around 2011.

I don't know what to say about Python being confusing, of all the programming languages that exist it probably has the most documentation, help topics, videos, training modules etc ... 

I do understand that preaching Python in the LabVIEW forum is probably not going to win me any friends but don't worry, in a few more years when my LV 2020 SSP version will no longer open examples that people post I will stop showing up here, then you can find me over on the Python forum talking about how great LabVIEW used to be : )  

If you need UI, why don't you use .NET framework and its WinForm technology?

1) every library made in Python is available in .NET

2) C# is as powerfull as Python, 20 years language, it's faster

3) it's super mature and supported/maintained

4) you have great 3rd party add-on for UI and other stuff

IMHO python was getting popular because it is open source, free and with IA/BigData libraries in a time when .NET was not.

But today the situation is changed, .NET is also open source and cross platform (if you care about that), and most important, it has all the libraries of IA and Big Data ported.

I dont see any single reason to use Python

Message 344 of 752
(1,757 Views)

Before you advocate Qt as UI Toolkit library, you may want to check out its license. Unless you develop true Open Source software (and not just any but (L)GPL), and also not just never released internal tools, which usually would be commercial if developed within a company, it has a SaaS type license cost too. And it is pretty much as high as LabVIEW.

I have to admit that one positive side effect of Qt having gone full commercial is that its tools like the Qt Creator and IDE certainly have gained a lot of functionality and shiny polish.

As to .Net being open source, yes it is. But it isn't as functional as the Windows .Net Framework and likely never will be as far as some Windows enterprise technologies are concerned, partly simply also since that does not really translate to other platforms and/or would be a very huge undertaking to implement there as a lot of underlying technology would have to be ported too. And of course if .Net Core can't do it on non-Windows platforms then Python can't either, so it's not a point of Python vs .Net, just a limitation that stands there.

Why not use WinForms? Personally maybe because it is the umptienth GUI framework released by Microsoft with all the previous ones more or less having been abandoned. Who can guarantee you that they won't Silverlight that over a few years too for something called NetWidgets or similar?

As to GUI's in LabVIEW. Yes they are not shiny and not looking like the latest craze that will be frowned upon by most users tomorrow already and obsolete next month anyways. 😀

But a lot of LabVIEW users still mainly develop applications to do measurements and present the data to the operator. Many customers can't care less if the look is particular or rather matching the current OS styled firly fanzy window look in any way. They want the measurements done, the operator being able to easily control the system and the generated data files being correct and ready for further processing in there online analysis platforms and such. For such users the current LabVIEW UI building is pretty much unbeatable. No GUI editor that generates a definition file that you have to include in your source code and reference more or less cryptic defines from, to access a specific widget to do anything with it.

If you need to do a Star Wars themed UI instead, while it can be done in LabVIEW too, it is not as comfortable anymore and the advantage of LabVIEW is pretty much lost.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 345 of 752
(1,738 Views)

@rolfk wrote:

Before you advocate Qt as UI Toolkit library, you may want to check out its license. Unless you develop true Open Source software... and also not just never released internal tools...

You are allowed to use LGPL libraries in your published proprietary software, you know.

As to GUI's in LabVIEW. Yes they are not shiny and not looking like the latest craze that will be frowned upon by most users tomorrow already and obsolete next month anyways. 😀

But a lot of LabVIEW users still mainly develop applications to do measurements and present the data to the operator.

I'm not talking about futuristic Star Wars HUDs. My previous post listed "UI that's dynamic, user-configurable, multilingual, has complex charts, scalable to different screen sizes, adapts to different DPIs, supports SVGs, etc. etc. etc." which are reasonable requirements for industrial/enterprise software. The customer shouldn't need to ask come back and ask for a software modification in order to take advantage of their upgraded computer monitor, for example.

Regarding presenting data to the operator, the lack of basic API for things like https://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW-Idea-Exchange/Allow-text-labels-for-graph-scales/idi-p/921601/ makes life a lot harder than necessary. We often talk about the fun of LabVIEW programming, but writing hacks to do basic GUI tasks are not part of that fun.

Certified LabVIEW Developer
Message 346 of 752
(1,675 Views)

@Konan__ wrote:

If you need UI, why don't you use .NET framework and its WinForm technology?

I have been using C# for years so I am familiar with its capabilities and If you are doing a windows only project it is awesome. Also I must say that if you are doing cloud based work, the C# and VS integration for Azure is top notch. But if you ask me which language is faster and 'funner' to develop in, the answer is LabVIEW. The other .NET issue is; I tried running .NET Core on a Beagle Bone a few years ago and it was not a good experience. Maybe if .NET Core gains some traction it would be worth looking into again but it is Windows, so It is not my first choice (If I have that choice). 

PS. I know .NET core is open source now but it's hard to shake the windows connection. I had to port some VB6 code and it did not give me a great feeling about how Windows EOLs a language. 

@rolfk wrote:

Before you advocate Qt as UI Toolkit library, you may want to check out its license. Unless you develop true Open Source software (and not just any but (L)GPL), and also not just never released internal tools, which usually would be commercial if developed within a company, it has a SaaS type license cost too. And it is pretty much as high as LabVIEW.

Yes, I was on a design team that approached QT about licencing in 2020. We found out that it was going to cost us ~$3per system per year for some amount of years for distribution licencing to use the QT creator tool to design a touchpad UI. The problem is, the team was planning on selling thousands of these units per year so that adds up a little too fast for the bean counters. We ended up using LabVIEW. The QT guys were going on and on about how major auto manufactures were using QT creator to make all the new digital displays in cars and I think that was the point we knew it was out of our league (for cost) .

I noticed about 10 years ago that NI Vision products were slipping behind, and hope that the by entering the smart camera market would start them down a path of revitalization of the platform.  I stuck with it because it was adequate for most jobs, occasionally clumsy, and it integrated well with LabVIEW professional.  

Is there any vision platform out there the integrates well / easily with LabVIEW? I'm open to suggestions.  I'll be having long conversations with vendors at the Boston Vision Show in October, and maybe put in a call to my buddy at Graftek, so see what he thinks.

Cheers

Robert

Message 349 of 752
(1,490 Views)

I believe Graftek was the company which originally developed IMAQ Vision, then called Concept V.I.,  before NI acquired it. There was a bit of confusion as I seem to remember, because it was originally French based but then moved to Austin somehow.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 350 of 752
(1,481 Views)