LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution
Saying that "we understand this... likely impacts your active and future plans," the company suggests moving platforms.

Every time I see a company suggest "moving platforms" to stay with them, I want to bang my head into a wall. Sometimes it's better to not say anything at all. I hope your sale to Emerson was worth it.

Message 711 of 752
(3,640 Views)

@WavePacket  ha scritto:

https://appleinsider.com/articles/23/10/11/labview-programming-app-abandons-the-mac-after-four-decad...

I thought higher priced subscriptions were to bring with it more resource for support and features. Beginning of the end?

should have been abandoned many years ago.

Who develops on MacOS? 0.1% of the 0.1% ? Apple also changed silicon, and building for Apple M1,2,3 chips is just losing money

Message 712 of 752
(3,273 Views)

@Konan__ wrote:

Who develops on MacOS?

Students.  If NI is content with not brining in young talent, and only have old guys develop in LabVIEW then ending MacOS support is a fine decision.  If they want to support academics then the decision isn't as clear.

Message 713 of 752
(3,252 Views)

who in production use macos? if you really want to use LV it is better you use windows or linux. and btw works fine on VM. except connections to specific HW.

if i'm wrong fell free to correct me.

maybe reroute macos money to develop a 64bit worknig LV.

or fix embarassaing zero day bugs.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 714 of 752
(3,243 Views)

@dj_tony wrote:

who in production use macos? if you really want to use LV it is better you use windows or linux. and btw works fine on VM. except connections to specific HW.

The problem with that reasoning is that LabVIEW needs also young people wanting to work with it in order to stay relevant for anything else as the next Cobol, where a few dinosaurs can earn a lot of money to keep ultra legacy applications, that are crucial to some operation, running.

And in some countries, universities use predominantly Macintosh computers. 

maybe reroute macos money to develop a 64bit working LV.

I use 64-bit LabVIEW regularly and have no problems with it! Yes, if you need some specific Toolkits and insist on using older LabVIEW versions than about 2022, then you might have trouble. Solution is to use a recent LabVIEW version or not using that specific Toolkit. Other than that there is really no big issue with 64-bit LabVIEW since at least 2017 or 2018.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 715 of 752
(3,216 Views)

i pay big money for an obsolete sw. based on old buggy library. of course if needed i use something els. but why the work in this way. 

and still macos user are more or less in america

100 million people worldwide.

based on percentage of macos lv user, maybe is worth using a VM. otherwise the new young adept is clear that don't care . 

a part from that. what i see i more tha doubled SSP price. LV is not mine nymore starting from 2021 (if they don't change mind). hoping Emerson will do better. regards

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CAUTION! New LabVIEW adopters -- it's too late for me, but you *can* save yourself. The new subscription policy for LabVIEW puts NI's hand in your wallet for the rest of your working life. Are you sure you're *that* dedicated to LabVIEW? (Summary of my reasons in this post, part of a voluminous thread of mostly complaints starting here).
Message 716 of 752
(3,194 Views)

Tony,

Sometimes the community prefers to spell it like this:  LabVIEW.

You be good.

Likewise, Kevin

Message 717 of 752
(3,088 Views)

So there was some less than professional comments made here and things were purged.  I think NI was a bit aggressive with the deleting and there were some actual useful comments made that I don't think should be lost.

Yes, everyone is upset at the price hike. Yes, everyone is upset that it's subscription only. No, there aren't any immediate, direct replacements that can do 100% of what LabVIEW does. Let's be adults here and discuss things.

To hopefully move things in a more constructive direction, NI if you're listening, here's an idea: make the roadmaps a little more interactive. Maybe a video or something. Seeing some prototype new features coming down the line would make everyone feel a lot better about their investments. The last few years haven't seen a lot of new broadly applicable stuff in LabVIEW. Seeing as the company was just bought out, it sure looks like a last-minute way to pump up the value of the company to increase purchase price without really looking at long-term effects, but I'll take you at your word that this will increase the investment into LabVIEW development.

Could we see some teasers or something for what this actually will mean for us? We depend on you all for our jobs, and this is really a scary time for a lot of people here. NI/Emerson's total silence on the matter after the initial post has a lot of us worrying for the future of our careers. Lots of people have jumped ship already.

Can we get a little positivity from management for Christmas this year?

Message 718 of 752
(2,521 Views)

About the MacOS thing, I don't know how it is in the united states, but from this side of the pond I haven't seen a Mac for a while in the lab...

but I've seen a lot of python programming going on among the students, including for interfacing things because no licence. Those who do not use python are trying their hand on octave (aka matlab for free).

So If the idea is to bring in new students, getting a  free low cost licence for academics should maybe be prioritized...

Message 719 of 752
(1,090 Views)

I use Macs in my private Engineering lab. LabVIEW for Windows runs fine under Parallels in a virtual machine, though. What I don't like about Windows is the tendency of Windows Update to reboot computers in the middle of long-term tests. It can be a serious safety and operational hazard. And, Microsoft doesn't make it easy to find all the locations where one must turn that auto-update "feature" off.

0 Kudos
Message 720 of 752
(817 Views)