LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabVIEW subscription model for 2022

Solved!
Go to solution

"Connecting test computers to the network is what separates us from the animals." Albert Einstein (probably)

jcarmody_0-1708606415138.png

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 731 of 752
(1,534 Views)

We try, but some of the larger companies we deal with insist on supplying the PC...usually an older POS. Lovely! Most of our interface to the control system is via ethernet and yes, we had one company call us after they set the machine up because it didn't work. And yes, instead of reading the labels we put on the back of the PC were ignored and they plugged the ethernet into their LAN. IT person was very confused.

0 Kudos
Message 732 of 752
(1,448 Views)

Lets see, my Company as gone from 10+ LabVIEW with SSP users to possibly 0.

Other departments have rolled back and frozen on earlier versions of LabVIEW that we own in perpetuity.

My labVIEW licence has expired and I honestly don't believe my company is going to renew this year. 

How's that new milk your customers dry licencing scheme working out for you now that the milk is starting to dry up NI?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
Message 733 of 752
(1,152 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Other departments have rolled back and frozen on earlier versions of LabVIEW that we own in perpetuity.

My labVIEW licence has expired and I honestly don't believe my company is going to renew this year. 

well that sucks.

😞

0 Kudos
Message 734 of 752
(1,137 Views)

Yep. We're frozen as well. We won't use NI hardware either out of concern for lack of support while 

our LV version fades obsolescence. None of the new kids use LabVIEW at all. 

Oh well.

0 Kudos
Message 735 of 752
(1,124 Views)

@Newton_TP wrote:

None of the new kids use LabVIEW at all. 

That's a fact.

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 736 of 752
(1,101 Views)

I'm learning C# for a solution architecture one of our sister companies developed. It uses TestStand (2019) and I haven't considered how the licensing will affect that.  Hmmm.

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 737 of 752
(1,079 Views)

@RTSLVU wrote:

Yeah that is a good point.  We renewed the SSP every year without question.  But as soon as they went subscription, and doubled the price, we had to stop.  I heard an expression recently that "You can shear a sheep a hundred times, but you can skin it only once."

Maybe we could see paying for a subscription one day. But at the moment management is happy to be saving those tens of thousands of dollars each year.

Message 738 of 752
(1,052 Views)

I wanted to give them the benefit of the doubt when they announced this a couple years ago, but wow they have really disappointed on the "subscriptions will let us add more new features" front, as well as the "communications" front. It's been a year since the last roadmap, so maybe they'll have one of those out soon?

0 Kudos
Message 739 of 752
(1,030 Views)

I feel like it's too late even if they reversed course and brought back the perpetual license. Companies have already shifted to some other alternative and probably won't want to flip development back to LabVIEW. Emerson should have announced an end of the SaaS when they bought NI but they they didn't and I think it's too late to win developers back.

Message 740 of 752
(1,012 Views)