cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Labview runtime engine - figuring out what is needed to run

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, everyone. 

I have never used labview or any software related to that till the begging of this year, so I'm completely lost about how to find a proper solution for my problem.

Here it goes:

Some years ago, a professor (now retired) made software to make it easier to run an analysis. 

The software plots data from a spreadsheet into a x,y graph and make it easier to visualize and estimate the "shape" of our data.

Bellow is the example of how it looks

mspa no pc do lab.jpg

It runs perfectly fine on the computer it was installed first. 

However, we needed to have more computers with this software. I got in touch with the professor, who told me I only needed labview runtime engine 2020 or 2019. 

I got it, installed on two computers, but one of them is working fine just as expected, but on the other, it just loads the "header" of the data, but not columns for the graphics

Same data, installed using the same source, in the same way, but:

mspa no meu pc.jpg

I reinstalled labview, opened it as adm, tried to look into the specs of the computers to find something different, and updated windows c+++, with no success. 

I would like to know if anyone guess what could be causing this problem, or something I am trying to figure out what is different between the computers that are making the software run on one but do not run on another.

Thank you, everyone!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 14
(2,735 Views)

LabVIEW sometimes can call external programs to run code made for them originally.  MATLAB and Python are two specific examples, but there could be something more specialized that it's trying to check as well.

Can you check and see what other software is installed on the two working PCs that is missing from the non-working PC?

If you have access to the source code of the original application before it was made into an EXE there are ways to check it, but it sounds like you don't have that?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 14
(2,712 Views)

I checked and I couldn't find anything different. They do not have Matlab or Phyton. The only difference I could find between the two of them is that the one running has dedicated video graphics while the other doesn't, although it's odd to think about that being something because that's not graphically demanding 😕

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 14
(2,678 Views)

Something else I just noticed is that based on the appearance of the software, it looks like it might be set to use a comma as a decimal separator instead of a period.  If it's set to read from a file or device and this is reversed, it can read just part of it but not the rest of it.

Can you check the settings of all the PCs for this?  You will find it in the Control Panel, under the Region settings, under "Additional settings".

Kyle97330_0-1710458550291.png

If the two working PCs are set one way and the nonworking one is set to another, that's probably it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 14
(2,672 Views)

dasilvdyucmailucedu_0-1710459180461.png

Just checked on both computers and they look the same 😞

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 14
(2,666 Views)

Judging by the picture that you showed, it appears that the data being analyzed are saved as Excel files.  That suggests that the LabVIEW code may be utilizing the Report Generation Toolkit, which has links to Excel.  Do the computers you are trying to use have Excel installed?  Microsoft, unfortunately, has the habit of making little changes to Excel that requires some "manual" adjustments to the RGT in order to work.

I would approach your now-retired Professor and politely request the LabVIEW routines, which you can use to "resurrect" the analysis routines he developed while a faculty member.  Note that you will need to obtain a working LabVIEW development system (meaning a PC with a licensed version of LabVIEW, and someone with LabVIEW expertise to install the University's software that your Professor developed while an employee and to get it working again for you.

For what it is worth, copies of software I've developed wherever I've been have been available for my colleagues to continue to use after I depart.  On occasion, I've been contacted for copies from former colleagues who have also moved to new locations, and have happily complied ...

Bob Schor

Message 6 of 14
(2,642 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author dasilvdy@ucmail.uc.edu

dasilvdy@ucmail.uc.edu wrote:

dasilvdyucmailucedu_0-1710459180461.png

Just checked on both computers and they look the same 😞

Check date format also, that's a common issue. 

You know what the similarity between Excel and a stalker is? Both makes the wrong assumption of what's a date! 😄

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 7 of 14
(2,606 Views)

OMGGGGG IT IS WORKING

dasilvdyucmailucedu_0-1710512469978.png

That joke about excel solved a 3-month long issue... 

I use on my computer day-month-year, when I changed to month-day-year it worked! I can't believe it was something so DUMB

I would NEVER expect that to be the problem.

Thank you so much 🙏 💛

Message 8 of 14
(2,592 Views)

You're welcome. Yeah, dates and time zones have been the bane of many programs for 50 years. 🙂

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 14
(2,588 Views)

Yeah, it's crazy how EVERYONE else in the world thinks that dates should be expressed in a logical day, month, year format.  Here in the good 'Ol USA we know better!  🙃

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 14
(2,561 Views)