LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Micro-Nuggets !!! ~~~~ Post 'em if you got 'em

Thanks Steve.  Interestingly enough that makes two Sr level LabVIEW Developers i've cought mis-using Ignore Errors inside node in the last week.  So I'll uNugget it

hey.png

I this case the node operates exacly the same regardless of the error since there is only one property in the node!Smiley Surprised

A quick look through the help file for p-nodes gives us this explaination of the expected behavior:

The node executes from top to bottom. The Property Node does not execute if an error occurs before it executes, so always check for the possibility of errors.  If an error occurs in a property, LabVIEW ignores the remaining properties and returns an error.

If you right-click the Property Node and select Ignore Errors Inside Node, LabVIEW executes the remaining properties on the Property Node. Only the first error is returned by the Property Node. The error out cluster contains information about which property caused the error.

So this option only effects the operation of successive properties in the same node as the property that caused an error.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 211 of 361
(2,235 Views)

Stumbled over this one the other day..

You can Ctrl-Click to switch tunnel assignments, saves some time-consuming right-click menu navigation Smiley Happy

SameSomeClicks.png

Regards,

Peter D

Message 212 of 361
(1,982 Views)

I love that one and use it all the time! It should also be noted that you can do a switcheroo on two terminals by left clicking one then ctrl clicking the other.

=====================
LabVIEW 2012

Message 213 of 361
(1,958 Views)

@Pete.Dunc wrote:

Stumbled over this one the other day..

You can Ctrl-Click to switch tunnel assignments, saves some time-consuming right-click menu navigation Smiley Happy

SameSomeClicks.png

Mine works Ctrl-left click on 1st tunnel then Ctrl-left click on 2nd tunnel.

PaulG.

LabVIEW versions 5.0 - 2020

“All programmers are optimists”
― Frederick P. Brooks Jr.
Message 214 of 361
(1,851 Views)

I had hard times abusing "Clean Up Diagram" button and ending up with complete mess. It would be cool to somehow group code parts without affecting efficiency, or stuffing small and rather unique bits of code into single-purpose SubVIs.

The solution? Group functional blocks within "Diagram Disable" structures, and enable them!

Completely transparent to the compiler, as far as I know.

0 Kudos
Message 215 of 361
(1,572 Views)

@McTOM wrote:

I had hard times abusing "Clean Up Diagram" button and ending up with complete mess. It would be cool to somehow group code parts without affecting efficiency, or stuffing small and rather unique bits of code into single-purpose SubVIs.

The solution? Group functional blocks within "Diagram Disable" structures, and enable them!

Completely transparent to the compiler, as far as I know.

First of all, we all hate the diagram cleanup.  So we first will say that is problem #1.

One of the points of subVIs is to group the code.  I don't see much help with using the diagram disable structure just to simply group your code.  You might as well just use a box decoration.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 216 of 361
(1,553 Views)

BD Cleanup is useful when inheriting code. Using it otherwise seems....questionable, true.

From the prupose of grouping code, when not going for subVIs that is, a box decoration is "perfect". Granted.

But I think, McTOM is refering to the option to exclude code from the cleanup. That is something, a box decoration cannot do.

It is notable that "Exclude from Diagram Cleanup" is a static option for the structure, so it might be necessary to check all structures before performing the cleanup.

That is why i completly agree with crossrulz that cleanup is somehow a no-go (except my initial statement).

just my 5 cents,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 217 of 361
(1,548 Views)

@crossrulz wrote:

First of all, we all hate the diagram cleanup.  So we first will say that is problem #1.

One of the points of subVIs is to group the code.  I don't see much help with using the diagram disable structure just to simply group your code.  You might as well just use a box decoration.

I noticed that most of the community members here disregard diagram cleanup. I hope you didn't expect me just to blindly follow this trend and never even try to benefit from this feature.

The box decoration is not an equivalent solution, because diagram cleanup will not keep whatever is inside it - usually it drops the empty box away from the rest of the code. When using Diagram Disable structure, set as "Enabled", Diagram Cleanup feature keeps inside the box what rightfully belongs to it.

EDIT: Demo included. Try diagram cleanup on it.

0 Kudos
Message 218 of 361
(1,541 Views)

Darrin Nattinger began an experiment to use the clean-up tool exclusively.  Here are his conclusions.  I followed a few links and found this comment in the Idea Exchange that offers hope for the future and encouragement for us to persevere with the tool. 

@AristosQueue (NI) wrote:

Slight tangent: Diag clean up in LV 2010 is substantially better than LV 2009. Many special cases were handled and the general algorithm got some adjustments toward settings more favored by the community (based on VIs submitted as CARs against the diagram cleanup tool). Squeaky wheel gets the grease, so if you do have VIs that you find in LV 2010 that are not being cleaned up to your liking and can point out specific changes that would make them correct, please take a moment to file that bug report.

Don't abandon the ship!

Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

0 Kudos
Message 219 of 361
(1,519 Views)

Why not use a flat sequence structure (with one frame)? It is inserted quicker (because the diagram is not disabled thereafter).

with Flat Sequence Structure.png

0 Kudos
Message 220 of 361
(1,670 Views)