LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Migrating from LabView program for PharLab to Linux RT

Hi All,

I am just about to migrate our software from using Pharlab Os to Linux RT os. 

What is the recommended way of deploying our software to the controller? through project -> deploy or through NI Max?

in Pharlab, we would use NI MAX to update or install our own software.

would *.rtexe be able to be run on Linux? if not how do i convert it such that it can be run on linux?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(581 Views)

1. Find a PXIe controller that supports Linux RT, then install Linux RT OS on it. See Provisioning a Controller to the NI Linux Real-Time Operating System

2. Install software to it through NI MAX. Installing Software on NI Linux Real-Time PXI Controllers.

3. The same project can be run on the Linux RT target but it needs to be re-compiled. If you are using any toolkit or third-party DLL, make sure they have been ported to Linux RT or compiled into the SO shared library.

Rebuild the rtexe from your LabVIEW project.

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(561 Views)

Recompile as in just open up the project for pharlab in labview then recompile it (any settings or flags need to be updated?)

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(551 Views)

@asadilan wrote:

Recompile as in just open up the project for pharlab in labview then recompile it (any settings or flags need to be updated?)

If you only used NI Standard functions there is a fairly good chance that you simple can add your Linux RT target to the project and add the VIs to it as you did for your Pharlap project.

But you need to add a new target for sure. Your old farget in your project “remembers” that it needs to compile things for your specific Pharlap system and you can’t change that.

Anything like DLL calls or 3rd party Toolkits that are not pure LabVIEW source code will likely be serious work to change into Linux RT compatible code.

And no, an rtexe file will not be possible to be run on your normal Ubuntu, Suse, Fedora, Red Hat or whatever Linux distribution. For that you need explicitly LabVIEW for Linux.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(516 Views)