LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Most Imaginative / Craziest / Interesting Thing You've Done With LabVIEW

Sorry for wrong! I forgetted to see the thread board! So sorry!
0 Kudos
Message 81 of 118
(4,283 Views)
Hi,
hope this thread hasn't completely died, It's interesting and fun...

Once during my studies I tried to get behind the economics of a PBEM so I got other players to send me their old price lists and send them through several curve fitting VIs.
The assumption was that there was some sort of sine with a bit of random in the prices.
For short term prediction it worked more or less, but still not much better than you could do just using your tumb. I'm shure the problem mainly was that data base was too small.

But now to something completely different:
I'm missing a game.
Wasn't there a link on the NI webpage a few months ago that pointed to a LabView-Robots contest? Some sort of CoreWars/C-Robots/P-Robots - clone? That sounds cool.
I was stupid enough not to bookmark the Link...
Message 82 of 118
(4,066 Views)
Wrote a LV program to help teach my parrot to talk. In '97 I had just purchased a baby McCaw and wanted to keep it company and teach it to talk. I wrote a program that randomly play .wav files that I had recorded in my own voice or gotten off of the web. It worked amazing well. I had gotten the Clint Eastwood line "Go ahead make my day" and others.  My best friend baby sat the bird for me one time when I was traveling overseas and his wifes favorite response to their children was "Oh, whatever". On morning months later my bird was in his cage chattering along when he came up with this one. Go ahead make my day.  Oh, whatever!" I laughed until I had tears in my eyes.

johnfr
Colorado
Message 83 of 118
(4,031 Views)

While creating an online catalog for a customer using a vendor-supplied pricelist, I discovered that the vendor would not provide the image files for the products to smaller customers.  Only the bigger customers were worthy of such service.  By looking at the vendors website, I could see a consistent URL for where the images were loaded from. 

With less than 5 minutes of coding in LabVIEW, I was able to load the Excel pricelist, create an array of the product codes, append the URL of the vendor's website, load the image using Datasockets and save the image to my hard disk.

Damn I love LabVIEW!

Michael Munroe, CLD, CTD, MCP
Automate 1M+ VI Search, Sort and Edit operations with Property Inspector 5.0, now with a new Interactive Window Manager!
Now supports full project automation using one-click custom macros or CLI.
Message 84 of 118
(3,986 Views)
Michael, How did you do that? I am very interested in reading data from web using Labview.Can you post an example to read image from web using data socket? Thanks. -Jianmin You
0 Kudos
Message 85 of 118
(3,915 Views)
Add "[text]" to the end of the URL pointing to the image and wire the string into a DS read. Save the resulting string as a file with the appropriate extension and you should be able to open it.

Can you give a simple example? Thanks. -Jianmin You
0 Kudos
Message 87 of 118
(3,873 Views)
Here (7.0)

Here is another fun project.

In my rare (day light) spare time I like to do some archery (target, recurve). To weight the arrows a sub grain balance (<60mg) would be ideal. So I build my own using the electrodynamic actuator for the head positioning of an old harddrive.
Using a light barrier for positioning that feeds back a current source, the current is proportional to the force (mass) on the head. A shunt resistor (0.05Ohm, 20ppm/K) with some OP circuitry feeds an old 12bit keithley ISA card and some really old analog meters. . The calibration was done with some (stainless steel) screws of known weigh.  
I used LV to do some additional compensation (due to the simple P-feedback I assume) and achieved a reproducibility <10mg. (At night, holding my breath Smiley Wink )
The newest driver I could find for that card was LV5.1 that still happened to be on my old PC.   Later I switched to a 24 sigma delta LT2400 dev. board connected via the RS232 handshake lines, however the application is still LV5.

Last year my preferred computer magazine c't called for re(ab)used computer parts objects and my balance won a price Smiley Very Happy (A nice Sony 15GB MP3-player, that my wife now is claiming) . Here is a link with more details ( german ) http://www.heise.de/ct/machflott/projekte/56047

Message Edited by Henrik Volkers on 03-31-200609:37 AM

Greetings from Germany
Henrik

LV since v3.1

“ground” is a convenient fantasy

'˙˙˙˙uıɐƃɐ lɐıp puɐ °06 ǝuoɥd ɹnoʎ uɹnʇ ǝsɐǝld 'ʎɹɐuıƃɐɯı sı pǝlɐıp ǝʌɐɥ noʎ ɹǝqɯnu ǝɥʇ'

Message 89 of 118
(3,840 Views)

I am in the process of connecting an original Nintendo controller to a custom built high power laser system for use in a manually-operated mode.  The 'A' button will begin the q-switching, the 'B' button will open the safety shutter (hence, FIRING the laser), the D-Pad will obviously move the laser around by computer-controlled mirrors.  I haven't decided what the 'select' and 'start' buttons will do... and moreover I am thinking of Upgrading to a Super Nintendo controller for more buttons. 

I am using labview with imaq vision package to see the laser's target station over a simple ccd camera and then there are two (basically) modes of use.  The first is a vector-list based mode I am creating where you will be able to draw vectors overtop of the ccd feed.  Obviously I will be posting MANY MANY question relating to this in the forums later 🙂  Then the second mode is the manual mode where I will be using the nintendo controller.

All I need now is for someone to give me lots of money so I can build this laser system on a moving vehicle!  Every gamers' dream.

Message 90 of 118
(3,775 Views)