LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

.NET code documentation in context help window

Hello Community,

I am developing a .NET (C#) dll that I would like to use from LabVIEW. The dll will contain public members that can be referenced using property and invoke node from LabVIEW.

Anyhow I would like to provide documentation for each such public members that user can access via context help (picture below).

Context help .NET objects.png

For VI sercer classes LabVIEW does provide documentation via context help using so called *.chm (Compiled HTML Help) file. See picture below.

Context help VI Server Classes.png

Does someone know or have had experience how this can be achieved for .NET property and invoke node in LabVIEW?

I thank you in advance for any help and looking forward to your reply.

Regards,

H.Jay

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(172 Views)

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible the way that you hope it's possible.  I'm not a DLL maker, but I do consume several .NET DLLs made by other people at my company, and I did look into this in the past.

The only option I see is if you use VI scripting to create VIs for every invoke and property node in your DLL and then add the context help in the normal way you would for a VI, then you or other users of your DLL would use these VIs instead of direct DLL calls.  If your DLL is set up to create an XML file that can be used with Intellisense, you could probably script it to use that XML file to get the descriptions to include.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(111 Views)

Well, creating bundles of Wrapper VIs only for the purpose of documentation was not the way I thought one would like to distribute its software. It just creates additional bottleneck for maintenance.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(94 Views)