cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NI 9401 + cRIO 9082 speed measurement

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello!

I want to measure a rotational signal with the NI9401 and cRIO 9082. For testing i am using a signal generator and it is connected to Mod5/DIO0. In the FPGA I want to measure the rising edges. (see attached picture) With them I would be able to calculate the rpm. But my code doesn't work: The counter counts up constantly even I have no signal generator connected. What is the problem?

Thank you in advance.

Best regards

Franz

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,743 Views)

Here is a good design document that may help. 

http://www.ni.com/white-paper/3230/en/

Figure 3 in the above white paper, uses the FPGA clock to determine the time between digital input events.  This is not a counter example, it simply uses the DIO to give the current state of the line. 

Further down the white paper is a conversion VI to RPM. 

Hope this helps. 

Preston Johnson
Solutions Manager, Industrial IoT: Condition Monitoring and Predictive Analytics
cbt
512 431 2371
preston.johnson@cbtechinc
Message 2 of 5
(3,733 Views)

Hello!

Thank you for your answer. I have tried it and it works, but only with an analog signal. but i have an digital one... Now i found an interesting tutorial (Point 4): http://www.ni.com/white-paper/14549/en/#toc4

There they wrote, that i can find the example in the example finder under Hardware Input and Output >> CompactRIO >> FPGA Fundamentals >> Counters >> Frequency Measurement >> Count and Period – cRIO.lvproj., but in my labview version (2015) I can't find this example. Do you have an idea where I can download it?

Thank you in advance.

Franz

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,694 Views)
Solution
Accepted by franz94

Hi Franz,

I didnt find the examples in LabVIEW version 2013, but in 2012 you can find them. In general you could just download the version as a evaluation and get the examples. Since I found the examples in a VM youc an find the examples attached to this post.

Besides that most examples are a restructured in the newer LabVIEW versions but the general topics are still there.

Best regards,

Christoph

Staff Applications Engineer
National Instruments
Certified LabVIEW Developer (CLD), Certified LabVIEW Embedded Systems Developer (CLED)

Don't forget Kudos for Good Answers, and Mark a solution if your problem is solved
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(3,654 Views)

Hello!

Thank you very much - it works Smiley Very Happy

Now I'm able to measure the rotational speed.

best regards

Franz

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,636 Views)