LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Next Generation LabVIEW Features Technology Preview Manual

@X. wrote:

It says it is only supported on Windows...

Of course it doesn't mean that down the road Macs will be supported again (assuming Apple still builds computers) and the microscopic Linux market will get its poor child's version of the development environment.

Thanks.  That's what I was afraid of.  I find it ironic that NI is putting so much effort into moving the LabVIEW Real-Time platform over to Linux, but you still have to use Windows to deploy LabVIEW code to a Linux RT target.

Message 11 of 25
(3,078 Views)

@CMal wrote:

@X. wrote:

It says it is only supported on Windows...

Of course it doesn't mean that down the road Macs will be supported again (assuming Apple still builds computers) and the microscopic Linux market will get its poor child's version of the development environment.

Thanks.  That's what I was afraid of.  I find it ironic that NI is putting so much effort into moving the LabVIEW Real-Time platform over to Linux, but you still have to use Windows to deploy LabVIEW code to a Linux RT target.

It's a very big difference to support a runtime system on a OS that you control completely or a full development system on a fragmented OS platform like Linux. So it's not ironic, just a result of reality and proirities.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 12 of 25
(3,078 Views)

rolfk: I think your comment about designing software for a system you don't completely control is more applicable to Windows than Linux.

Message 13 of 25
(3,002 Views)

You miss the point that there are almost a zillian Linux distributions, all with their own set of default shell setups, preinstalled libraries, addons, compiler settings, dropped libraries for security, compatibility or personal reasons, kernel versions with different compilation configurations, kernel drivers, hardware options, etc.

In comparison the NI Linux for Realtime system is one set of all of these, with virtually no variation that can be configured by a (well meaning) user other than installing additional packages.

That makes the whole thing even easier to manage for a software package than about 5 different versions of Windows. And the runtime system is again a lot easier to make, build and test than the full development system.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 14 of 25
(2,996 Views)

This old joke about "what if OS's were like airlines?" illustrates the Linux challenge rather clear and funny if you remember all of those OS's.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 15 of 25
(2,935 Views)

I wonder if this has anything to do with some interesting software plans NI briefly showed today at NI Week?  I expect it will take a year or two before this begins to show up on PCs ...

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 16 of 25
(2,881 Views)

As a matter of fact, this preview is downloadable: Next Generation LabVIEW Features

However, according to this article, it definitely appears to have features limiting it to PCs, such as the use of Windows Presentation Foundation objects (although at this stage, this cryptic note: "ADVANCED: will need R&D resource to create clean WPF code to import in an example workbook." probably means that it's not testable yet).

I am hesitating to install it though, as it appears recommended to do it on a NI software-free machine...

Further info here: http://forums.ni.com/t5/NI-Software-Technology-Preview/tkb-p/7300

A simple look at the thread started on Events gives me the feeling that, as for the (now defunct?) LabVIEW Web UI builder, this is far from having all the features we are used to with LabVIEW... It is a preview, after all.

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 25
(2,688 Views)

To get access to the preview, you have to actually apply first (I don't know what the acceptance criteria are).

Here's the link to the application form: http://www.ni.com/en-us/support/software-technology-preview.html

Message 18 of 25
(2,660 Views)

Apparently, a current SSP license is all you need to apply (and be accepted).

One caveat is NI they strongly recommend a clean install of Windows to install it.

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 25
(2,605 Views)

I didn't see it mentioned in this thread yet but if you want a free clean Windows VM checkout the ones provided by Microsoft for browser testing.  It's only good for 90 days but you can revert back to an earlier snapshot.

https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/microsoft-edge/tools/vms/

0 Kudos
Message 20 of 25
(2,594 Views)