LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Open/Close FPGA reference turns digital outputs on&of

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a cRIO 9024 controlelr on a 9114 chassis with digital output module NI 9401. 

As shown in the first picture, when I use this code in the host VI for some reason all the digital outputs on the NI9401 go to high and then quickly go low. 

It's the same at the end of the code when I use the Close FPGA Vi Reference

Now if I change it to the second picture, there's no low-to high- to low when I begin running the Host VI. But still the same problem when closing the FPGA reference

I'm wondering if I can stop this from hapenning. 

Cheers

FPGAFailure1.PNG

FPGAFailure2.PNG

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,493 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ErnestoB

Hello ErnestoB,

sorry for this

Why Does the Output of My NI 9401 Sometimes Glitch?

NI 9401 fpga reset method output glitch high

To workaround this issue, configure all channels on the module to be digital inputs and after the start programmatically to the needed outputs.

best regards
Alexander
Message 2 of 8
(3,449 Views)

You can also partially work around this by disabling the "Reset" in close.  If you right click on the Close FPGA Reference node you'll notice you can select between, "Close" and "Close and Reset if Last Reference".  Note that this means that the FPGA VI will continue running after the session has closed and the host will more or less just be connecting to it without changing its state when you open a session again.

Message 3 of 8
(3,425 Views)

Thanks everyone. I just decided it's easier to just unplug my digital output cables before turning on and off. I appreciate the responses!

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,393 Views)

Kudos to you M.S.!

I had no idea there were options on the close. This saves me from having to re-architect the code.

Thanks and Good Luck!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,664 Views)

@Michael_Strain wrote:

You can also partially work around this by disabling the "Reset" in close.  If you right click on the Close FPGA Reference node you'll notice you can select between, "Close" and "Close and Reset if Last Reference".  Note that this means that the FPGA VI will continue running after the session has closed and the host will more or less just be connecting to it without changing its state when you open a session again.

I did not know that. Smiley Surprised

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,635 Views)

Regarding the OP post:

If you define the RIO reference in rio:// format, your DMA performance will be slower than if you simply name it "RIO0".

I found this out during benchmarking completely unrelated code.

Assuming of course the FPGA card is in the same chassis as the code accessing it, otherwise you'll need the IP address of course.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,631 Views)

@Intaris wrote:

Regarding the OP post:

If you define the RIO reference in rio:// format, your DMA performance will be slower than if you simply name it "RIO0".

I found this out during benchmarking completely unrelated code.

Assuming of course the FPGA card is in the same chassis as the code accessing it, otherwise you'll need the IP address of course.

Yes, if you use a resource string formatted like "rio://<host>/<device>" it opens a session over the network, even if the device is local to the system.  This adds overhead going through the network stack. This link describes that more: Is There a Difference in How I Reference My FPGA Target?

In an upcoming release the Open node will begin setting a warning if you hit that specific case.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,619 Views)