LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Program PIC18F microcontroller with LabView?

Hi all,

I am new to PIC programming. I have experience in using labView to do data aquisition and automated test.

I am wondering how to use LabView to program a PIC microcontroller and how to do data communication between PIC and LabView. Is it possible?

Thanks

Message 1 of 19
(16,972 Views)

With RS232 as the most simple alternative. You can both communicate and program a PIC18F chip with UART onboard. I think you can find code for a RS232 boot loader on the Microchip site. But this will require that the boot loader code is pre programmed into the chip. So it is a chicken and egg paradox 😉

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 2 of 19
(16,951 Views)

You cannnot program a PIC directly from LabVIEW.  You need an environment (C compiler or assembler) that can target the PIC.  Even if you use the LabVIEW C Generator (expensive), you still need a C compiler and the appropriate hardware to program the PIC.

Once you do have code running on the PIC, you can use a serial connection to communicate between the PIC and LabVIEW, but the PIC code needs to be written to allow serial communication.

Message 3 of 19
(16,937 Views)

Hi, i would like to add on that, Even if you get the boot loader thing done( lots of jdm programmers available), you will need to convert labview generated C in to assembly for PIC18 and as far as i know no software like that exists. You can always write your own compiler(taken that you are capable of doing it, dont think you would want to do that). Its better to start using languages built for use with the PIC. If you have decided on C than you get numerous choices such as C18, Mikro C, Boost C etc.

*Guy who has worked with 18Fs for 1.5 years*

LabVIEW 8.2,8.6,2009...still learning 😛
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 19
(16,930 Views)

@wond3rboy wrote:

Hi, i would like to add on that, Even if you get the boot loader thing done( lots of jdm programmers available), you will need to convert labview generated C in to assembly for PIC18 and as far as i know no software like that exists. You can always write your own compiler(taken that you are capable of doing it, dont think you would want to do that). Its better to start using languages built for use with the PIC. If you have decided on C than you get numerous choices such as C18, Mikro C, Boost C etc.

*Guy who has worked with 18Fs for 1.5 years*

Yes that is correct. I was unclear. You may if put some Effort into it. Create some tools in Labview.  That you can use to transfer a hex file with a program to a pic18f chip. Using the bootloader approach. But you will not be able in any way to use Labview. For creating code for your 18f chip

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 19
(16,920 Views)

hello

Is there any specific way to write any thing to the PIc microcontroller .....like some command.....as I just want to send ' 2' to the pic but it is not getting it ...because if it would then it sureluy should do the specif job defined to it...

best regards

ali shaheen

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 19
(16,404 Views)

duplicate post. Please don't post the same question in multiple places. It just irritating.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 19
(16,384 Views)

Sir,

Myself Sumanta Kumar Show from IIT Kharagpur, Mining Dept. is forwarding the logic which we want to implement in the micro-controller. Its is as follows -

Suppose I have two ports name PORT1 and PORT2. Now the ports status will change by the following way:-

PORT1 PORT2 COMMENT

5 V or Logic1 5 V or Logic1 Initial condition
0 V or Logic0 5 V or Logic1 Timer Start
0 V or Logic0 0 V or Logic0 Timer Stop

Now the time gap between timer start and timer stop will be in nano-second range. I want to display this time delay on a display device. This will be done
one time. It will not be done in a continuous manner. If need another experiment will perform manually by pressing power on/off switch or pressing reset button.
Please send me your valuable suggestion (any device that makes it easy to attain the objective) at the earliest.
          Thanking You.
Yours sincerely
Sumanta Kumar Show
Project Assistant, Mining Dept.
IIT Kharagpur
Email Id - (sumanta.show@gmail.com / show_sumanta@rediffmail.com)
Mobile No.- (9932582375)
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 19
(15,484 Views)

Sumanta,

What kind of microcontroller are you using? Currently we support ARM processors. If you would like to learn more here is the link.

http://www.ni.com/labview/arm/ 

We also have a toolkit for Arduino that allows you to control the microcontroller from within LabVIEW. You do still need to load a program onto the controller that opens up the serial port but from there you can use LabVIEW to control it. This isn't actually programming the Arduino though, it basically allows you to use the Arduino in a similar fashion to our DAQ devices. 

If you are using a PIC, like everyone else stated this isn't directly supported. You could do it yourself but unfortunately we don't have a method to accomplish this currently.

Kyle Hartley
Senior Embedded Software Engineer

Message 9 of 19
(15,435 Views)

Hi,

I want to implement a logic in PIC18F2455 with LABVIEW platform. the logic is as follows -

Suppose I have two ports name PORT1 and PORT2. Now the ports status will change by the following way:-

PORT1 PORT2 COMMENT

5 V or Logic1 5 V or Logic1 Initial condition
0 V or Logic0 5 V or Logic1 Timer Start
0 V or Logic0 0 V or Logic0 Timer Stop

Now the time gap between timer start and timer stop will be in nano-second range. I want to display this time delay on a display device. This will be done one
time. It will not be done in a continuous manner. If need another experiment will perform manually by pressing power on/off switch or pressing reset button. Please
find the logic diagram in the attachment. Please send me your valuable suggestion how to execute the logic. If possible please Email or SMS me.

Thanking You.
Yours sincerely
Sumanta Kumar Show
Project Assistant, Mining Dept.
IIT Kharagpur
Mobile No.- (9932582375)

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 19
(15,408 Views)