cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programatically add Fieldpoint devices and IO

Solved!
Go to solution

Appologies for the duplicate post.

I'm curious whether or not Fieldpoint devices and IO can be added programatically at runtime. 

I know there are ways to add IO if the devices have already been setup in MAX or your Project.  But is there a way to add new devices without stopping your code and without having to set the devices up in MAX first?

---------------------
Patrick Allen: FunctionalityUnlimited.ca
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,493 Views)

I don't have access to the apps where I did this but Datasockets used to work.

Try this link to see if this technology still works.

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,490 Views)
You can use datasockets, or you can use the Fieldpoint Advanced Palette do manually open, create tag and close each IO channels that you are using.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer
Message 3 of 6
(2,462 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pallen

Thanks for the reply Ben.

I did see something about using Datasockets for this purpose.   But I also read that they're a lot more overhead and possibly prone to more problems than sticking with the Fieldpoint VIs.  

What I was hoping for was a way to configure new FP channels, modules, and possibly racks; all from the UI of my program.  

It seems though that even though this may be possible, it would likely be more effort (read: $$) than it's worth to the customer.  

I think though that if the devices are setup and saved in MAX first, I can easily read the .iak file and go from there.  

---------------------
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,458 Views)

Hi Patrck,

In one of the more recent LV releases, NI is now shipping a Field Point Replication blah blah blah package. It includes functions to clone FP units.

In the early days Datasocket may have been less efficient but I suspect that in all cases other than the serial based FP units, Datasockets are being used "unde the hood".

Ben

Retired Senior Automation Systems Architect with Data Science Automation LabVIEW Champion Knight of NI and Prepper LinkedIn Profile YouTube Channel
Message 5 of 6
(2,452 Views)

Thanks for that tip as well Ben.

I suspected that Datasockets or something similar might be the real "guts" of the communication. 

My situation is that I have code/methods that I'm fairly certain will work as they are either already working on hardware right now, or are known to have worked in the past.  What I don't have is available hardware that I can test new/better methods on right now.  The bulk of my coding has to be done offline.  

We may have another upcoming project though that would put a fieldpoint controller right into my hands for at least a little while.  If this happens, I'll definitely give the datasocket method a whirl.  

---------------------
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,448 Views)