LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT executable Error: LabVIEW: (Hex 0x8) File permission error. You do not have the correct permissions for the file. DMA hardware error detected.

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello everyone,

I am getting an error 0X8 while running RT application through executable (Attaching screenshot). Same software is working perfectly fine if its running though RT Launcher.

Error seems to be very generic. I tried disconnecting IC target from project and then running exe, but getting same error.

I am using Industrial controller IC3173 (Attaching IC configuration from NI MAX),

- IC software version 21.0.0,

- LabVIEW 2021,

- Using DMA FIFOs for transmitting images to/from FPGA and using FPGA I/Os for camera trigger

Have you come across this before? Thank you for your help.

Regards,

Ashwini

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(1,603 Views)
Solution
Accepted by rolfk

Could it be that you tried to replace that rtexe file in the past through putty or another SSH client. And happened to login with the standard admin account? If so that rtexe file has now an admin owner and can effectively only be replaced by a process with root privileges. But if you deploy through the LabVIEW project, this happens as the internal lvuser which only has limited rights (and very correctly so).

If that is the problem, try to login again through SSH and delete that file, then try to redeploy from the LabVIEW project.

The mentioning of DMA in that error message is a red herring. In the beginnings of LabVIEW, GPIB drivers were added to LabVIEW without any translation interface. Those errors happened to use the same error range with positive numbers starting with 1. So there were suddenly two error conditions that mapped to the same error code and when they later added the error dialog and error descriptions they had to somehow come up with a way to solve that. Reassigning error codes was not an option as that could have made existing applications that relied on specific error codes to fail. And the reasoning was that whoever develops in LabVIEW, will likely know if he used a standard File IO node or a GPIB node, so can for sure distinguish which error applies in any specific case. The ship has long sailed and there is no possibility to change that now. The sins of your childhood can sometimes chase you for the rest of your life. 😁

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 2 of 4
(1,557 Views)

Thank you Rolf.

You are right, I did replaced .rtexe file once through FileZilla. By deleting old rtexe file from start-up folder and deploying through LabVIEW project, I am able to run executable. 

Thanks for your help 😊

Message 3 of 4
(1,534 Views)

Hi Ashwini,

You marked your post as solution but technically it would be the post that actually holds the solution, which would be @'s post. This way person who invested time helping you gets the credit.

Peace.

oops. You already updated it.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(1,524 Views)