LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Read Unscaled TDMS Data in LabVIEW

When a TDMS file, group, or channel contains scaling information (i.e., NI_Scale[nn] properties), the TDMS Read function returns the scaled data (it applies the scaling info to the raw integer data).

Is it possible to retrieve the raw, unscaled integer data?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(742 Views)

I did some experimenting many years ago with replacing the scaling to a 1-to-1.  In my limited testing it worked, but I also made an Idea Exchange item for it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(730 Views)

Thanks. I considered modifying (or deleting) the scale properties.

What I was really hoping for was a way to read the raw values without modifying the file. Then read the scaling properties and use them at my discretion. 

It’s strange to me that this isn’t an option.

In my case I have raw I16 data that is much smaller memory footprint than FP32. For efficiency I’d rather work with the I16 and scale later.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(683 Views)

Sorry for opening an old thread without a solution, but

npTDMS has an option for reading raw data (scroll drown to the Scaled Data section)

I assume NI wrote the API for npTDMS, why don't we have this option in LabVIEW 😞

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(384 Views)

@mcduff wrote:

npTDMS has an option for reading raw data (scroll drown to the Scaled Data section)

I assume NI wrote the API for npTDMS, why don't we have this option in LabVIEW 😞

npTDMS is written by Adam Reeve.

ZYOng_0-1698706059691.png

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(374 Views)

@ZYOng wrote:

@mcduff wrote:

npTDMS is written by Adam Reeve.

ZYOng_0-1698706059691.png

Maybe not NI; but I assume he is using a NI supplied DLL. He could have wrote everything from scratch which would be quite impressive. But anyway, we are a second class citizen with respect to TDMS. I would love to read raw data instead of scaled doubles like the OP asked. It seems possible.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(367 Views)