LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reading values using BACnet IP protocol on LabVIEW

I am trying to get a reading in LabVIEW from a BACnet device using the BACnet IP protocol functions by Ovak technologies. I've tried to read a value by replicating the client example shown in Ovak's documentation but the software cannot communicate to the device. The BACnet IP device communicate with my work station. I can send ping requests, get responses and interact with the device using the manufacturer's web application. In LabVIEW, the BACnet IP sub-VIs doesn't even detect the device. I've communicated with Ovak technical support about this and tried every fix they suggested but I still cannot interact with the device in LabVIEW. The pictures below shows my reproduction of the example and I've also added Ovak's documentation. Note that, unlike the example, I havent used the ''Write'' function since I only wish to read a property.

Has anyone been able to establish a connection between LabVIEW and a device using BACnet IP protocol?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(755 Views)

I'm using the BACnet API from Endigit see here : https://endigit.com/solutions/bacnet-labview-api

and I'm happy with, it's quite surprising that the vendor (I've never ha contact with Ovak) can not help you do a simple read.

You said the ping goes through and your browser can connect to the BACnet server, but hace you tried pinging from LabVIEW (using the system exec VI) ? maybe some firewall stands on your way

Also, do you know the port number to be used to connect to your BACnet server?

edit : I see the Ovak Toolkit isn't free and is password protected... I think that' pretty bad.

the one from Endigit isn't free either, but at least the code is not password protected.

We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.

Epictetus

Antoine Chalons

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(738 Views)
Hi,

Thank you for your quick response. I've just tried to ping the device from labview using the system exec VI and I'm able to receive all ping responses. I have been told by my building administrators that the port of the bacnet device should be the default one (47808). What's strange is that Ovak told me to put in the client device's (my work station's) IP address and port in the BACnet IP functions and not the device's. 

Also, as you said, the API lack transparency so this is why I struggle to make it work since I have nothing to help me troubleshoot.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(715 Views)