cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Reset array for continuous appending

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm writing a program that collects data and outputs an array at each iteration of a For loop.

The arrays are concatenated into a bigger array.

So the big array grows bigger at each iteration of the For loop.

Now, I found that if I call my program several times without exiting LabVIEW, the new execution appends the new array to the old one.

That happens even if I specify a new file to write to; apparently, the Array is never reset and remains in memory even after I stop execution.

I searched for "Reset Array" on the forum, but in this case I don't just want to re-initialize it, I want to flush any value in that array.

Can somebody help me with this?

I'm fairly new to LabVIEW.

Thank you so much,

Nicolas

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(6,092 Views)

To start the For loop with an empty array (which I think is what you want to do), simply wire an empty array to the input shift register (from outside the For loop).

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(6,086 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author htnicolas

Simply right-click the left edge of the shift register on the left and select "create constant". Voila!

(this will create a constant of the correct type automatically, in this case an empty 1D array of strings)

Message 3 of 5
(6,079 Views)

An empty constant "resetting" the shift register is of course a valid way. Nevertheless, i would try to get rid of the "Build Array" function at all.

From looking into the code, my first statement is:

Front Panel as well as Block Diagram are both way too large. Not everyone sitting in front of a computer monitor has a graphical resolution of 4096x3072 pixels. So most people will have to scroll around a lot when working with this VI. This is definetly subject to change.

Next thing: As Altenbach noted, your shift register for the string array is not initiated hence leading to the behavior you are currently observing (working as expected!).

I suggest you to completly remove the shift register and use auto-indexing outputtunnel for the string. This will change the VIs behavior since you do receive a 2D-string array instead of the 1D array you are currently working with. Nevertheless, 2D array has no need for the "New Line" constant if used properly.

Conclussion:

Remove shift register by working with auto indexing tunnels. This will also make "New Line" constants obsolete.

hope this helps,

Norbert

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
Message 4 of 5
(6,069 Views)

Thank you Altenbach for your solution. I think you've helped me before on another topic!

@Norbert B,

Thank you very much for the advice.

I work on a double screen, that's why it's so big. I'll try to reduce the size by saving some SubVI's. I really need to get some good habits to make my program clearer.

As for the Array, I'm gonna try your solution. I had some apprehension with 2D Arrays, especially regarding file output (I was thinking about 3,4,n-Dimensional Arrays, and how those would be written to a file? The thought of it scared me). That's why I did all this ugly work, just to get a 1D array.

Thank you again everyone.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(6,048 Views)