LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Saveas Dialog hides filename

I recently saw a message in the Idea Exchange Make the Class Save dialog more like Save As by  that made a comment about the file name not completely appearing in the file box in a Saveas Dialog.  I had seen similar situations in the past.  I'm not sure when I first started seeing it.

I finally came across it again when I was trying to do a Save for Previous Version on a filename that was a bit longer than average, but not particularly long.  Why does the beginning of the file name disappear off to the left when there is plenty of space in the box to fit it all in?

I would consider this a minor bug in the SaveAs dialog box that should be fixed.  See below.  This is what it looks like when the dialog box first appears.

Message 1 of 13
(4,141 Views)

RavensFan,

I have done some internal searches in the NI database, on filed bug reports. With regards to these symptoms, I could not find anything already posted. I also took a look at the other forum post you linked as well and tried searching based on those facts, with no luck. Therefore, the next thing I need from you is a detailed list of “Reproduction Steps” so that we can test this issue on our end and take appropriate action to fix the bug.

As pointed out on the “Make the Class Save dialog more like Save As...” forum, this seems like a Windows bug, but there may be a work around on our end that could help solve this.

Thanks for bringing this issue to the surface.

Rob W.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(4,086 Views)

Sure.

I am doing this on a Win7 computer and using LV 2013sp1.  I don't know if this started happening with a particular version of LabVIEW  (13, or 12, or ..).  Or with Windows 7.

1.  Create a project that has a somewhat longer name.  (I'd say at least 10 characters.)

2.  Go to File menu and pick Save for Previous Version.

3.  Pick a previous version such as 12.  Hit Save.

4.  The "Select a Directory" dialog box opens up.  The filename is highlighted with <space>Folder added to the end.  But the left part of the file name (about 10 characters, but it seems to vary) is missing off the left hand side of the File name: box.  It seems to even cut it off in the middle of a letter at times.  If you click into the Filename box and hit home or scroll left, you can see that the entire filename actually does exist.

This also happens with a Save for previous version from a VI's file menu.

Also with a File >> Save As... and pick "Duplicate Hierarchy to new location" and its "Choose a Directory or LLB" dialog box.

Message 3 of 13
(4,080 Views)

I can reproduce this problem on my Win7 64bit with LV2013sp1 and LV2012.

George Zou
Message 4 of 13
(4,066 Views)

Thanks for the reponses! I will get back to this forum within the next couple of business days with some more information about what will happen next with this unexpected behavior.

Again, thanks for posting this and bringing this to our attention.

Kudos!

Rob W.
Message 5 of 13
(4,037 Views)

This is a well known flaw in windows that microsoft refuses to fix (i'll try to find the link*).

I have reported that very long ago. Nothing NI can do directly.

*it all started in LabVIEW 2012 when NI switched to a different dialog flavor.

Message 6 of 13
(4,030 Views)

> Nothing NI can do directly.

Yes. They CAN.  So can you.

1. Don't select the whole string

2. Move the cursor to the beginning

3. Select the whole string again

George Zou
Message 7 of 13
(3,999 Views)

Yes, it is mostly a cosmetic bug, and there are workarounds.

Message 8 of 13
(3,993 Views)

@zou wrote:

> Nothing NI can do directly.

Yes. They CAN.  So can you.

1. Don't select the whole string

2. Move the cursor to the beginning

3. Select the whole string again

This is not something a user of the dialog should be having to do. And adding that kind of behind the scene logic to LabVIEW is very likely to cause some problems in the future in Windows SuperDupe when Microsoft decides that the best form of File Dialog is one where everything is only touch screen operable, the control gets a different name or windowID or whatever else they may come up with.

It's exactly the kind of cure where the cure itself is likely to end up more painfully in the long run than the disease itself.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 9 of 13
(3,975 Views)

Hello all,

I just got out of a meeting I had with the R&D LabVIEW team with regards to this minor bug. As suspected, this is indeed a Windows issue as some of you mentioned before. Linked below is some "documentation" or published content on the issue. We are aware of this minor bug and according to Microsoft; they are not going to fix this issue in the near future. 

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/5890ff0d-8432-42bf-a52b-1b772d873d40/if...

http://connect.microsoft.com/VisualStudio/feedback/details/698560/common-file-open-dialog 

The bug report, on our end, has been filed and is still open in our system. Therefore, we are continuing to look for ways to work around this Microsoft bug. As for now, just highlight the file name you are looking to "save as" and the whole name should appear. A minor inconvenience, but nothing mission critical.

Thanks to all for the posts

Rob W.
Message 10 of 13
(3,880 Views)