LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scientific Linux 6.0 and LabVIEW RTE

To whom it might concern,
There seems to be a recurring issue w/ LabVIEW on some distributions. It seems to be a subtle issue around link to the proper library. It will be good if once for all the problem be investigated throroughly to understand the knot.
This problem occurs for me with LabVIEW RTE 2009 when runing third party software controlling a FPGA card under Scientific Linux 6.0. 
The error message is
9.0.1 - Received SIGSEGV
Reason: invalid permissions for mapped object
Attempt to reference address: 0x0x998e636
Erreur de segmentation

Some people have reported a workaround for LabVIEW (<=7.0) with the dir_index optimization bit off using tune2fs 

(cf. https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LabVIEW)

In my case, the workaround does not work.

It seems that the problem is shared w/ people for openSuse 11.2

Interestingly, this problem does not occur in Ubuntu 10.04: LabVIEW RTE fires up properly although this distribution has other problems w/ the GPIB card (see my other post  http://decibel.ni.com/content/docs/DOC-13584)
Solutions will be appreciated.
Cheers,
Olivier

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,820 Views)

Hello mtblanc,

Thank you for posting on National Instruments' forum.

Is your Operating System in 64 bits? Did you try it with an other distribution of Linux? What kernel is used by Scientific Linux 6? (this is an alpha version)

Romain P.
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 9
(3,789 Views)

Dear Romain,

I will stick to english for the interest of the community. If necessary we might also switch to a direct conversation. You can contact me at oklein at cea.fr.

Yes, I have done an extensive review of the different problems with NI in Linux and the situation is quite a mess. To be honest, my motivation is:

1) some new instruments proposed by third parties rely on NI cards (mostly FPGA). Since the control module will be written in LabVIEW, I like to keep the flexibility of using GUI or better the possibility to encapsulate it inside another language. We run VI through python. 

2) I appreciate very much the NI-VISA project, which is a way to simply encapsulate different interfaces.

Now, in terms of programing instrument, my choice is to stick w/ python, which puts also a constraint on the distribution/version.

The best distributions for python support is without a doubt Ubuntu or Debian. I think this is mainly due to the difficulty of integrating coherently sevral packages.

Below I will describe different distribution/version and kernel. There are all tested on 32 bits systems.

I have written a tutorial on how to install NI-VISA on Ubuntu 10.04. However there is a problem w/ the GPIB interface. It is not recognized by VISA although, the driver is installed and it is working perfectly.... The Ubuntu kernel is 2.6.32. LabVIEW RTE works also perfectly.

The case of Scientific Linux 5.5: everything works. The problem is that both the python (version 2.4) and glibc (2.5) are too old and will require a backward overall of thousands of lines of codes.

Scientific Linux 6.0 (also kernel 2.6.32) is in this regard more modern: python 2.6 and glibc 2.12. NI-VISA installs properly on my system. The problem is with LabVIEW RTE, which crashes. 

OpenSUSE 11.2  seems also to work for LabVIEW RTE. This test was done by third parties. I have not look how to integrate python in this distribution.

Thats the feedback that I can give you at the moment. Maybe in the near future, there will be a debug on why Ubuntu and GPIB do not work, or likely LabVIEW will be also soon ported to RHEL 6.0. Any idea of when this is going to happen?

Kind regards,

Olivier

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,770 Views)

Scientific Linux 6.0 is not supported by National Instruments.

I invite you to follow this link : here

About your question, I have no information about a future update of GPIB support in Ubuntu.

Best regards,

Romain P.
National Instruments France

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,754 Views)

Hi!

I'm having the same problem with a simple application and again on Scientific Linux 6.0.

What is strange is that the built application can be launched without any problem from the project explorer (right click on the build specification and than "run").

Calling the application from the shell gives the reported error....

Marco

@Romain P: the link is broken

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,472 Views)

In my case the problem was due to some conflict between Labview RTE and SELinux.

I've put SELinux in permissive mode (changing the file /etc/selinux/config and rebooting) and the application begun to run as expected!

Marco

Message 6 of 9
(3,462 Views)

Great trick marco 🙂

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,389 Views)

thanks giordy72.

To be honest I've been helped by NI Italy Support Team 😉

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,381 Views)

If you don't want to turn all of SELinux "off", you can still use the LabVIEW RTE as long as the "allow_execheap" boolean is enabled [1].

[1] Manual for setsebool

http://linux.die.net/man/8/setsebool

Joe Friedchicken
NI Configuration Based Software
Get with your fellow OS users
[ Linux ] [ macOS ]
Principal Software Engineer :: Configuration Based Software
Senior Software Engineer :: Multifunction Instruments Applications Group (until May 2018)
Software Engineer :: Measurements RLP Group (until Mar 2014)
Applications Engineer :: High Speed Product Group (until Sep 2008)
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,358 Views)