LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Spectre and Metdown patches: now LV gets stuck

I noticed that there are some vi files of mine that I cannot execute anymore. Apart from the regular windows updates, nothing was changed in my PC except from the patches about spectre or metldown. 

The vi files are creating graphs with a huge number of points, so I guess that memory access is now prevented/limited/slowed. LV gets stuck and I have to manually interrupt it from Task Manager. Have you any solutions to suggest? Had someone the same issues? Is there any recent patch? I am using Windows 10 with LV 64 bit.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,328 Views)

What version of LV you use and can you able to run open your Vi without error's?

If your guess is on the data points, ate you saving that in any file if yes what is the size of the file?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,285 Views)

I have Labview 2015 SP1 64 bit on Windows 10 (Intel i7, Nvidia 650M). Evrithing was fine until I installed the patches. I am analyzing huge amounts of data. I checked that if I take a subset of the data, the VI's still run correctly. But with the whole seto of data, Labview gets stuck. I even don't know if this depends on Labview, on CPU or on graphic card. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,244 Views)

@gnappo wrote:

I have Labview 2015 SP1 64 bit on Windows 10 (Intel i7, Nvidia 650M). Evrithing was fine until I installed the patches. I am analyzing huge amounts of data. I checked that if I take a subset of the data, the VI's still run correctly. But with the whole seto of data, Labview gets stuck. I even don't know if this depends on Labview, on CPU or on graphic card. 

Most people here don't use LabVIEW 64bit and analyze "huge amount of data", whatever that is. 😉

It is great that you posted so others with the same problem can find this discussion and add a "me too". In the meantime, maybe somebody at NI would need to investigate. I doubt anyone here has the tools to analyze any of this.

Is there a way to uninstall the patches to get a clearer picture? Does the system still show the right amount of RAM? What happens if it gets stuck (e.g. no CPU use or 100% CPU use in the task manager).

What does the analysis actually do?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,239 Views)

When you say that you are creating graphs with huge amounts of data, do you mean graphs on your UI? Remember that the resolution of your display is finite, limited by your display and what a human can actually see, but that huge data can be put into the "graph". As it gets larger it will fill memory. Just conjecturing, but it may be that the OS/LabVIEW needs to move the data to different locations, the area allotted to display already is pretty full, much of it taken by everything running at the UI level or called from the UI level, unless specifically told not to (see below). It may be that the "fix" provided by the patch is preventing this the proper handling of this data in the display part of memory. Returning to the original point, you can't see all the points of "huge amounts of data" on the display, so decimating what is displayed may help.

Putnam
Certified LabVIEW Developer

Senior Test Engineer North Shore Technology, Inc.
Currently using LV 2012-LabVIEW 2018, RT8.5

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,229 Views)