LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Start in Run mode?

Just to double check- You want to prevent the useres from editing the vi and you do not want the vi to "run when opened" just be in run mode.

To accomplish this go to the folder with the vi's and ste the folder properties to "Read only"

set  LabVIEW>Tools>Options>Environment>Saving Vi's  "Treat read only vi's as locked" and "Disable automatic saving"

saving.PNG

This will prevent edits from the users and no automatic saving will occur.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 11 of 18
(1,683 Views)

I think the best option if you want to do this on a VI basis is to change the VI to be locked (not password protected) from the Properties»Protection.

The VI will open in run mode and if the user selects to change it to edit mode they are prompted to unlock the VI (simply push a button to unlock it).

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
Message 12 of 18
(1,674 Views)

Sorry I didn't describe fully.  Occasionally editing and therefore Saving will be needed.  It's just that 95% of the time it will stay in Run mode.

As to why front panel values don't get saved automatically (instead of requiring "Make Current Values Default" and hence entry into Edit mode) baffles me.

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 18
(1,668 Views)

Even if you will want users to edit it they will have to do the same as you had previous.  Go to Operate»Change to edit mode.

2010-03-24_161436.png

After they select this they are prompted to unlock the VI.  Note that this does not require a password.  Simply clicking unlock changes the VI to edit mode.  The one caveat is that it will need to be locked again if you want it to open in run mode.

2010-03-24_161451.png

Regards,

Jon S.
National Instruments
LabVIEW NXG Product Owner
Message 14 of 18
(1,660 Views)

Beck45 wrote: 

As to why front panel values don't get saved automatically (instead of requiring "Make Current Values Default" and hence entry into Edit mode) baffles me.

Why does it baffle you? That operation can only be done in edit mode because it requires recompilation. You can't do that in run mode. Also, the front panel values are not saved "automatically" under any condition. 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 18
(1,656 Views)
Smiley Happy Jon S., yes I was about to mention that caveat too...   I think adding the .ini key will be cleaner.  Everything will be the same except it opens in Run mode.  After editing if they don't go back to Run mode for the rest of the session, it's ok--it switches back next time it's opened.  So maybe then a 'Run mode after Run' option might be useful too.  All of this because I only have the base version I guess... Smiley Very Happy
Message Edited by Beck45 on 03-24-2010 06:26 PM
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 18
(1,650 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:
Why does it baffle you? That operation can only be done in edit mode because it requires recompilation. You can't do that in run mode. Also, the front panel values are not saved "automatically" under any condition. 

I realize that, but why not?  Or at least a button that does all this: Edit Mode-MCVD-Run Mode-Save.  And then an option to do that before exiting, is all I'm saying.  

0 Kudos
Message 17 of 18
(1,643 Views)
If you would like to see something changed, then you should create a post in the LabVIEW Idea Exchange.
Message Edited by smercurio_fc on 03-24-2010 04:48 PM
0 Kudos
Message 18 of 18
(1,632 Views)