cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Starting Loop Iteration after Receiving Trigger Pulse from PXI-6652

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi everyone,

I apologize if this has been answered somewhere else, but I'm having a hard time finding examples and tired after a long day of work.

Anyways, I am using a PXI chassis with both a PXI-6652 timing module and a PXI-7854R FPGA board.  On the FPGA I have biphasic pulses being generated to 8 analog channels.  What I want to be able to do is send a trigger (let's say at 1Hz) from the PXI-6652 that will start the output of the biphasic pulse on the FPGA.  I'm running the FPGA through a host program as the variables about the biphasic wave will change depending on the experiment being conducted.

So, in short, I am wondering how to generate a trigger pulse from the PXI-6652 and then use this trigger in a Host VI to start an iteration of a loop.  It seems fairly straightforward, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, and I can post code tomorrow if necessary.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,377 Views)

And I now realize that there are associated VIs in LabView 2009 and 2010.  Are these NI-Sync VI's available in 2011?  If not, are they planning on adding these to LV2011?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,359 Views)
Solution
Accepted by ajm87

To answer your second question, yes, the NI-SYNC 3.3 driver is available to download and it used with LabVIEW 2011.

As far as using the trigger from the PXI-6652 to start acquisition on an FPGA VI, we have some pretty good examples that ship with LabVIEW that will show you how to do this.  For actually generating a trigger with NI-Sync, there are several examples in the NI Example Finder (Help>>Find Examples) that route a trigger to one of the PFI lines to be used with the other modules.  You can do a Search for NI-Sync and they should all show up there.  You may need that driver installed first before you'll see anything, though.

Also, if you look in the Example Finder under Hardware Input and Output>>R Series>>FPGA Fundamentals>>Triggers and Watchdog, you'll find a pretty good triggering example there for use in your FPGA code.

This example uses NI-Sync to trigger an M-Series device, which isn't relevant to what you're doing (it's using DAQmx), but there's a pretty good NI-Sync trigger generation example in there that I think may help.

Regards,
Austin S.

National Instruments
Academic Field Engineer
Message 3 of 4
(2,338 Views)

Cool.  Thanks Austin.  I'll look into the trigger examples and grab the sync software. It looks more now like I'll be triggering from the FPGA directly, so the R-series stuff should help.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,331 Views)