cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stepping toolbar missing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

I'm working on a relatively simple project, based off the "Advanced Serial Write and Read" example. I'm using LabVIEW 7.1, Windows XP.

Initially the Stepping Toolbar is there, but once I begin adding things to it, the toolbar disappears. Why? How can I get it back?

Thanks,

Victor

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(3,028 Views)

Hello Vickykld,

Just to make sure I've understood the problem correctly, have the stepping toolbar buttons completely disappeared? or are they simply disabled? (i.e. greyed out and un-clickable)

If the case is that they are simply disabled, then the problem may be that your code does not compile. You can tell if this is the case as the run button will change from it's normal white arrow to a grey and broken arrow. If this is the problem, clicking on the broken arrow will bring up a list of the errors in your code and if you double click on the error it will highlight the part of your code that it is refering to.

If it is the case that the buttons are completely gone and the code compiles successfully then I will look into the problem further for you.

A temporary workaround could be to go into the menu options and choose Operate>Step into or Operate>Step over 

or you could use the shortcuts (ctrl+down for step into,

ctrl+right for step over

ctrl+up for step out)

Please let me know how you get on.

James W
Controls Systems Engineer
STFC
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,999 Views)
Solution
Accepted by vickykld

Hi Vickykld,

To add to what James said regarding this issue if the tool bar is greyed out then the block diagram will have a broken link signified by a broken run arrow.

If the stepping icons have completed disappeared it is likely to be because debugging has been disabled. To overcome this it simply needs to be reactivated. The process for this is described in a Knowledge Base article which can be found below:

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/22729F1BAC6BBDD086256FDC005FE8FD?OpenDocument

I have run through this on a computer running LabVIEW 7.1 and the 'allow debugging' check box has moved slightly but is still under the 'execution' tab.

Please let us know how this goes and we will provide further assistance if necessary.

Aaron. E
Product Performance Engineer
Dyson
Message 3 of 6
(2,985 Views)

Aaron,

Thanks for the info!! I did what the article says and it worked like a charm!

I realize I mentioned the wrong example I was using though. In reality I'm using "TCP Communicator - Passive", and  "TCP Communicator - Active".

Those have the debugging disabled by default. Maybe I should open a new post, but why would they be disabled by default? Should it be that way for any TCP VIs?

Regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,963 Views)

James,

Thanks for the reply. The toolbar is completly missing, my VI complies and runs fine.

I tried what you said, and it did not work. I had to do what Aaron suggested.

Regards,

Victor

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,962 Views)

Hi Victor,

Im glad we were able to solve your problem. In reality having the debugging tool bar enabled makes little difference to the functioning of the VI.  Disabling the debugging tools does however reduce the memory requirements and can slightly increase the system performance.

In LabVIEW 7.1 some examples which are more demanding have this disabled as default, knowing that it can easily been enabled through the VI properties dialog box.

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any more information,

Regards,

Aaron. E
Product Performance Engineer
Dyson
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,939 Views)