LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Installer issue

I have a project that has been ongoing for the last 7 years and has been building installers without issue until recently. The project has been using LabVIEW 2018 for several years. I migrated the project to LV 2021 recently but due to a deployment issue I had to revert back to LV 2018. The code has been backed ported and runs fine. However, when I try to build the installer I run into a strange issue. Prior to the move/backport all of the installers (multiple components) working just fine. The minimum OS version was set to Windows 7 in the installer build specs. However, when trying to build and deploy the latest code the installer errors out saying the Windows 10 64 bit or higher is required. This application is using 32 bit LabVIEW.

Has anyone encountered something similar to this? Any idea how I can fix this? I tried changing the build spec to change the minimum OS version and that doesn't seem to have any effect. All of the code is in SVN so I can move back however a significant amount of work had been done in LV 2021 so I would prefer to not have to go back to an older SVN version and reimplement all of the changes by hand.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(614 Views)

Did you build the project using the machine with LV2021 installed?

Softwares with version of 2021 and later do not support Win7.

LabVIEW and Microsoft Windows Compatibility

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(605 Views)

The machine has both LabVIEW 2018 and LabVIEW 2021 installed. The build was done using a branch in the SVN repository for LabVIEW 2018 code. I built the installers using LabVIEW 2018. I had successfully built installers for LV 2018 on this machine in the past even with multiple versions of LabVIEW installed on it.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(600 Views)

@Mark_Yedinak wrote:

I had successfully built installers for LV 2018 on this machine in the past even with multiple versions of LabVIEW installed on it.

Was the machine installed with LabVIEW 2021 or later in it?

Installing LabVIEW 2021 will upgrade some drivers to 2021 as well. This might cause all versions of LabVIEW to share the same OS compatibility.

-------------------------------------------------------
Control Lead | Intelline Inc
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(594 Views)

As I stated in my prior response, I have built the project successfully in the past with multiple versions of LabVIEW installed on the machine. This issue started after the code had been upgraded to LabVIEW 2021 and then saved back for LabVIEW 2018 using Save for previous version. The paths were all verified for the project and only code from the LabVIEW 2018 version is being used. There is no cross linking.

Mark Yedinak
LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(584 Views)

NI Package Manager 20.6 is the last version that supports Windows 7 and 32-bit OS. When upgrading NI Package Manager 20.7 or newer, NI software is updated to support Windows 10 and later and only 64-bit, and this affects older LabVIEW. Your installation of LabVIEW 2021 installed a later version.

Are you building an installer using the Installer build specification or the Package build specification?

If you are building an installer from a Installer build specification, you should be able to manually update a setting in the setup.ini or install.ini file in the built installer. If you are building an installer from the Packages build specification, there is no simple workaround like modifying the installer because the installer includes the newer version of NI Package Manager.

The following KB talks about this issue in general and the two options you have depending on how you are building the installer: NI Installer Requires Windows 10 64-Bit (Version 1507) or Newer

Scott Richardson
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(514 Views)