LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TPA81(FPGA) Robotics Examples on Dani Robot

Now I am working on the TPA81 themal array on the sbRIO of Dani Robot, so I connected TPA81 on the digital I/O on the sbRIO and configured the I/O in FPGA Target. When I run the example program, temperature data is incorrect. Could any one tell me what is the right processure of using the TPA81 (FPGA) example. Thanks a lot.

Meanwhile, I am planning to use Dani Robot along with TPA81 as a heat source follow, say when a heat source is detected, Dani will follow it. So I will need to use the servo control on TPA81 and the servo motor on Dani. If you have any good suggestion or even some example vi. for that, could you please attach this in the reply or email me by jasonhwa@163.com. Thank you in advance!!

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 15
(4,581 Views)

Hi Jason,

What temperature data are you seeing and what leads you to believe it is incorrect?  What resource name, port and I2C address have you specified in your Devantech TPA81 Read Temperature Array (FPGA) VI?

In terms of the servo control on the TPA81, the example VI you are looking at allows you to set the position of the servo.  For more examples on how to use LabVIEW Robotics, take a look at the following code exchange page:

NI LabVIEW Robotics Code Exchange

Marshall B
Applications Engineer
National Instruments UK & Ireland
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 15
(4,538 Views)

Hi Marshall,

1. On the example front panel, both the ambient temperature and that on the thermal map are 255 degrees.

2. The resource name is RIO or rio://192.168.2.10/RIO0; the port is 0 as original; the I2C address is 0x68 as original and the clock rate is 1000Hz as original.

I have also attached the whole project including all the subvi for FPGA use, if possible, could you help to make some changes to this program. Thank you in advance. 

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 15
(4,503 Views)

Can I ask what is the port used for?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 15
(4,498 Views)

Hi Jason,

Port 0 is a digital I/O port that can be used to connect your TPA81 to the sbRIO-9632 of your DaNI Robot.  Can you confirm that the TPA81 sensor is connected to this port?  The following user manual for the sbRIO-9632 can be used to locate port 0 connections on the RIO device:

NI sbRIO-9632 User Manual 

You will see the connector block for port 0 in figure 7.

Marshall B
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 15
(4,489 Views)

Hi Marshall

I have already choose Port 9/DIO8 as the clock channel and Port9/DIO7 as data channel while the port 0 is not the port for digital I/O I think. This is shown in the capture.jpg in the attachment.

I have also changed the port 0 to port 9 but I get nothing on my front panel. Could you help me?

Looking forward to seeing your reply.

Jason

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 15
(4,482 Views)

Hi Jason,

Have you changed the Devantech TPA81 Read Temperature Array (FPGA) VI to use port 9 as well?

Can you send me a screen shot of your front panel when you run this VI using port 9?

Marshall B
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 15
(4,460 Views)

Yes, I have. front panel.JPGblock diagram.JPGCompilation of FPGA.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 15
(4,452 Views)

Bigger Imagesfront panel.JPGblock diagram.JPGCompilation of FPGA.JPG

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 15
(4,451 Views)

Hi Jason,

The example code is deigned to be used with port 0 of the sbRIO device at I2C address 0x68.  However, changing the code to use port 9 should not cause an issue, provided that the sensor is physically connected via this port. 

Looking at the following document on the TPA81, I would have though we should be specifying I2C address 0xD0:

TPA81 Thermopile Array Technical Specification

0xD0 is the default shipped address.  Try setting the address to each of the addresses specified in this document.

Marshall B
Applications Engineer
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 15
(4,430 Views)