cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Tooltips not showing

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello all!

Beforehand: I never used tooltips, but I suppose custom ones are possible for front panel elements since there is an extra "Tip" box in the Documentation tab of the element's properties.

However, I'm not sure. So I have some questions regarding the tooltip not yet showing as expected:

1) Is this "Tip" box in the Documentation tab of an element's properties dialog really supposed to define the text for the tooltip?

2) Is there a global setting in the LV options to never show tooltips? Couldn't find any that is obvious, but that doesn't mean anything and could also be an not obvious option.

3) Is there a global setting in the VI options for the front panel to never show tooltips? Also couldn't find any that is obvious. I usually deactivate the context menu for compiled VIs, but I don't think it's that. 

4) When is the tooltip supposed to generally appear, only when the VI runs or also on stop mode? 

TIA!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(859 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author MaSta

1) Is this "Tip" box in the Documentation tab of an element's properties dialog really supposed to define the text for the tooltip?

Yes

2) Is there a global setting in the LV options to never show tooltips? Couldn't find any that is obvious, but that doesn't mean anything and could also be an not obvious option   [First page of Options]

Tip Strip.png

3) Is there a global setting in the VI options for the front panel to never show tooltips?

Not 100% sure, but I don't think so

4) When is the tooltip supposed to generally appear, only when the VI runs or also on stop mode? 

The cursor must be stable (not moving) for about 500ms before a tip strip will show up. Any movement prevents it from showing.

When stopped, the vi must have been selected (clicked on) and you have to use the Finger tool to get the Tip Strip to show.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Help the forum when you get help. Click the "Solution?" icon on the reply that answers your
question. Give "Kudos" to replies that help.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(826 Views)
Thanks. I was obviously too stupid to find it myself, because the global setting in the options was deactivated.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(813 Views)

@MaSta wrote:
Thanks. I was obviously too stupid to find it myself, because the global setting in the options was deactivated.

Not silly at all.  LabVIEW ships with that option checked by default and deleting the LabVIEW.ini file will recreate a new one with default settings.  Some Other Developer must have changed the setting and I cannot for any reason guess why someone would do that.  Perhaps they couldn't read the Help file and wanted to know what it did.....?

Unless you are completely comfortable with the LabVIEW Options.  You should consider taking the following steps:

• Close LabVIEW 
  • Rename LabVIEW.ini (or delete it)
  • Open LabVIEW 
  • Close LabVIEW 
  • Compare LabVIEW.ini with the renamed file

You might want to copy over any history entries if you are into them.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(796 Views)